cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

60db ADSL

N/A

60db ADSL

Hi All,

I've just been turned down for ADSL due to my line having 55.6db loss (4.81km). I believe that BT is about to change the rules on ADSL and increase the limit to 60db.

Is this still happening? Are the trials successful?

If anybody has any information, above the default BT statement, I would appricate it.

Kind Regards,

Jerry.
13 REPLIES
N/A

60db ADSL

The details about this, where relase at the same time as the midband information.

From what I have read, BT will start doing this as from the same time mid-band comes out.
N/A

60db ADSL

Cool... is there any supporting documentation.

I have heard that Midband is going to be a bit of a flop i.e. not always on and with a usage cap! Basically ISDN Homehighway that points to a static location.

Is it also true that it can't be used with alternative service providers to BT!?

Jerry.

Happy PlusNet subscriber
Make use of your connection - start a forum!!
www.ward-home.co.uk
N/A

60db ADSL

It comes as advertised. BT Midband.

It is a BT supplied service, through which, they handle all ISP associated services. I guess you could call this an adition to the BTBroadband provision they have. A no-frills service with usage cap.

However, it is not true that the connection points to a static location,a dn the service provides more than this.

It is infact Home Highway, with a ISP package included.

You get the phones lines, so calls can be made to/from the line fine. Youc an even dial-in to +net if you wish. However, the free ISP mins are only through BT themselves.

To be perfectly honest, the web-site BT have provided with the mid-band details on (link below), is a very informative one. It shocked me to find that you could get more than first thought.

BT Midband site HERE

Media related material:
Theregister.co.uk 1
Theregister.co.uk 2
Lorian
Grafter

Re: 60db ADSL

Hi All,

I've just been turned down for ADSL due to my line having 55.6db loss (4.81km). I believe that BT is about to change the rules on ADSL and increase the limit to 60db.

Is this still happening? Are the trials successful?

If anybody has any information, above the default BT statement, I would appricate it.

Kind Regards,

Jerry.

I too have 55.6 (awaiting a re-test as we speak). An (unamed) source from BT has recenlty said that the increase is "still on" for June.

Others have said that it's the end of June, this remains rhetoric as far as I can see.
N/A

60db ADSL

Agreed, I read that it will be the end of June but nobody will commit.

I just wish BT would standup and make a statement, rather than leaving it to the ADSLguide to calm people down.

However I'm getting interesting information from Southern Electric about a 1Megabit internet connection for £30 a month. You receive a convertor that you plug into a power socket and then connect to the Ethernet presentation Smiley Cool. It may appear in the next 6-9 months Sad DOH!

Ho hum... I've just had enough of trying to find a solution. I hate living on the edge of every service provider (including cable), I expect that housing details will soon carry a section under the council tax band that states available broadband options :shock:

Jez.
Lorian
Grafter

60db ADSL

Agreed, I read that it will be the end of June but nobody will commit.

I just wish BT would standup and make a statement, rather than leaving it to the ADSLguide to calm people down.

However I'm getting interesting information from Southern Electric about a 1Megabit internet connection for £30 a month. You receive a convertor that you plug into a power socket and then connect to the Ethernet presentation Smiley Cool. It may appear in the next 6-9 months Sad DOH!

Nasty mess if you wire it up wrong LOL.

Jc
Community Veteran

60db ADSL

The trials are still ongoing and have not been going for very long yet, BT haven't yet made a firm comitment to the limit change and they won't until they have the data in from the trials.

Chris
Lorian
Grafter

60db ADSL

The trials are still ongoing and have not been going for very long yet, BT haven't yet made a firm comitment to the limit change and they won't until they have the data in from the trials.

Chris

Well they HAVE made a fairly firm commitment form Wholesale's April 3rd press release:

"...This is in addition to BT extending the reach of ADSL broadband up to 6kms from the exchange. This separate development means that up to 98 per cent of people connected to an ADSL enabled exchange will be able to access the technology. This means close to 600,000 additional people will be able to access broadband from June"

see http://tinyurl.com/cdo3

Also an email I got back from BT Wholesale just yesterday they said I would be able to order from my ISP in "Early July". No ifs or buts on results from the trial!

Jc.
Community Veteran

60db ADSL

Then this contridicts or updates the information I previously had.
In any case it's good news for consumers and the ISP industry.

Chris
Lorian
Grafter

60db ADSL

Then this contridicts or updates the information I previously had.
In any case it's good news for consumers and the ISP industry.

Chris

I have just had another email from Wholesale that also says "the date is not set ". So its wait and see. The press release is pretty black and white though.

Jc.
N/A

60db ADSL

I have found in the past with BT, they usualy hide one or two of the details, or fail to pass them on. Making there replies a little misleading.

It will likely be the case, that BT will make an upgrade to there provisioning automation system.

This will take pre-bookings, and/or confirm if you will be within this new extended reach.

The ability to actualy use the service will then likely be a later date.
Lorian
Grafter

60db ADSL

I have found in the past with BT, they usualy hide one or two of the details, or fail to pass them on. Making there replies a little misleading.

It will likely be the case, that BT will make an upgrade to there provisioning automation system.

This will take pre-bookings, and/or confirm if you will be within this new extended reach.

The ability to actualy use the service will then likely be a later date.

They are woolly to say the least.

I have a promise from someone working on the "upgrade" programme that they will email me as soon as the date is set. I will post it here and on adslguide when I get the info.

Jc.
N/A

60db ADSL

Power Line Comms:
Failed in many countries due to interference to radio, TV and other RF equipment.
First tests in UK had similar "fail results" (done in North West).
Comment from the US, where it has also been tried, is that you can actually hear it over some electrical equipment. Sounds, excuse the pun, to have a possible security leak.