cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5861 router won't get WAN IP information

N/A

I have an Efficient 5861 router set up acording to instructions on various user groups (BUG-UK, BTOFAQ, this forum etc). Firmware is the latest (5.3.80). It is set up with NAT enabled and mostly works as it should, except that after powering up it does not acquire the IP information from Plus - The WAN IP, WAN Gateway and DNS Server Addresss are all set to 0,0,0,0. This stays like this no matter how long I wait. All lights do the correct thing according to the manual, and WAN speed is correctly reported as 576Kbps downlink and 285Kbps uplink.

If I then try to browse a web site it will of course fail, but the WAN IP information from the ISP will then be acquired and the router works from then on. Has anyone seen this before? Will it be solved by using a static IP (which I intend anyway), or does it indicate a deeper problem?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: 5861 router won't get WAN IP information

Will it be solved by using a static IP (which I intend anyway), or does it indicate a deeper problem?

If you are on ADSL then you already have a fixed IP address.
N/A

I'm not familiar with your equipment but it sounds like it is set to "dial on demand" i.e. logon to plus on demand. you don't aquire the ip etc untill you actually log on.

If you have the option on the router set it to stay logged on permanently.

HTH

Lee
N/A

Thanks for advice.

I'm pretty sure the router doesn't have a dial on demand function. Also the router clearly establishes a link, just doesn't get an IP. I'll try setting it to use my static IP and see if that clears it up, but I'd stll like to know if this is normal behaviour for this router on Plus. I know other people who use it with server-assigned IPs who don't have this problem.
N/A

I used to have a 5861 router (it died, but thats another story)

the only times the WAN IP and so on were blank is when the username and password that it logs on to plus with were wrong.

if you log on to it with telnet, does it give any error messages?

open a telnet window
type in :
o <LAN IP of router>

<your router password>
system log start
(the first bit is the letter o, not a zero)

if it's saying stuff like "<remote> didn't accept our CHAP password" the log on info is wrong Smiley
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If you're still having a problem take a look at this thread. I use this router myself so if the problem persists give us a shout.
N/A

My router (DLink DSL-504) has a space for IP config in it's configuration menu. It's set to "Get Static IP From ISP" but in the space below, it doesn't fill in any IP. I think this is probably the same thing that happens to you with your router, and my internet works perfectly fine (I set it manually).
N/A

Thanks to all who have responded.

I've tried monitoring the transactions as suggested, ans all appear fine - no authentication problems.

I have followed the thread mentioned by Dave Tomlinson and done all thats mentioned there.

I have considered setting the IP manually, but if I've understood the router setup correctly, setting the WAN IP manually will also make this the IP of the router itself (i.e. the IP I connect to to configure the router), and my local addresses clearly cannot be in the same range (I only have a single IP). This is clearly OK for a non-NAT setup, but not a NAT setup. It does not appear possible to set the WAN IP and router IP separately.

The only conclusion I can come to at this stage is that I'm not getting the WAN IP from Plus, possbly due to a timeoutHuh If you're monitoring this Dave, should I elevate this to a tech support query, or do you want to look at it here?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

On the NAT setup your router has 2 IP addresses, the WAN IP address assigned when you connect and a LAN IP (usually 192.168.254.254). You need to specify the LAN IP but not the WAN address, set it up as if you had a dynamic IP.

What happens with the BT Test login? The username is

bt_test@startup_domain

password - test

If this assigns an IP the retry you own username

vermaat@plusdsl.net (or it could be vermaat@plus.net).

I'm not at work at the moment so I can't see if there are any failed connection attempts. If the router's set up exactly as in my previous thread then either there's a problem with your router (a reload of the firmware should fix this) or a problem on your line or account. In the case of the latter I'd recommend calling the support team.
N/A

I think I've figured it out.

Followed all instruction, re-flashed the router (again), and still no difference.

Tried BT test login - same again.

Tried looking again at system logs as previously suggested by telnetting into the router, and running the system log, I can see the router opening the ADSL line, getting a 512k link, then attempting to do a PPP authenticate over ATM-VC2 (presumably ATM Virtual Circuit 2) with "remote<internet>", which is presumably Plus, and timing out. If I then try to browse a web site, it re-tries the authentication, usually succeds and Voila, router operational!!

Only question left is why is Plus taking so (consistantly) long to autheticate (in my case)? I've tried to find if the authentication timeout is settable in the router, but it appears not to be. Maybe you could check for failed connection attempts when next at work Dave?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

This is what I get from the Syslog after a reboot

11-26-2003 23:14:06 Local0.Notice 192.168.254.254 5861: DOD: link to internet over ATM-VC/2 is now up<000>
11-26-2003 23:14:04 Local0.Notice 192.168.254.254 5861: PPP: remote <internet> will authenticate<000>
11-26-2003 23:14:02 Local0.Notice 192.168.254.254 5861: DOD: connecting to <internet> using 0*38 over ATM-VC/2<000>
11-26-2003 23:14:02 Local0.Notice 192.168.254.254 5861: DMT: Line Open: Downstream: 576 Kb/s Upstream: 288 Kb/s<000>
11-26-2003 23:13:28 Local0.Notice 192.168.254.254 5861: DMT: Line Opening...<000>

I'll take a look on Friday for you to see what's showing in RADIUS. Even if it isn't working as it should, I'm glad to hear you've connected.
mssystems
Rising Star

I am not familiar with your router but it may have a PPP authentication type option. The correct setting is CHAP. If it is set to Auto or PAP the PPP Link Control Protocol (LCP) will negotiate the correct CHAP mode but it takes longer.

Regards
Matt