cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512kbps access in theory = 460-490kbps in reality

N/A

512kbps access in theory = 460-490kbps in reality

As this subject suggests, why are we sold into 512kbps ADSL when speeds don't even reach it. I know for a fact that NTL's cable 600kbps service actually meets and exceeds the rated speed.
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 512kbps access in theory = 460-490kbps in reality

> As this subject suggests, why are we sold into 512kbps ADSL when speeds don't even reach it. I know for a fact that NTL's cable 600kbps service actually meets and exceeds the rated speed.

when i connect (tho i cant officially log in yet) my modem refers to me that i am connected at 588kbps so maybe it depends on how close to the terminal thing you are? whether your about 1km like me or 5km maybe slower?
N/A

Yes my modem reports the ADSL connection as 576/288 even though that it not the genuine speed or perhaps it is the speed with overheads?
N/A

> As this subject suggests, why are we sold into 512kbps ADSL when speeds don't even reach it. I know for a fact that NTL's cable 600kbps service actually meets and exceeds the rated speed.

All this connection speed means sod all. My modem ADSL connection speed shows 28.8k the same as an old modem on XP pro. However I can download at nearly 65k/sec no problem most times of the day.

chino
Grafter

Correct all the speed test / modems mean nothing the best way to do a speed test is a ping test.

From BT web site:
"
The checker indicates that you !!!!!may be able!!!! to receive Broadband services at speeds from 512kilobits per second downstream and 256kilobits per second upstream. (The upstream speed will vary depending on the length of the telephone line connecting you to your local exchange)."

cUnDaLl

N/A

but i aint getting anywhere near 512k more like 300kbs and less.
N/A

> but i aint getting anywhere near 512k more like 300kbs and less.

Its a shame because at home i get 576k connection with bt. Iv just signed up for plusnet broadband in bolton (my uni house) and im now dreading what speed thats gonna connect at.