cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512 -> 1meg

N/A

512 -> 1meg

Hey,

A few months ago I failed for 1mb at (£32.99 / month) due to line noise etc. I'm going to try again when the rules are changed soon, however it seems the packages have changed.

I'm a high bandwidth user, I use the internet a lot and don't wish to be limited as the new accounts seem to do. The premier account i'm confused about, how much bandwidth per month does it give you, and if its 'unlimited' surely there must be an absolute cap as bandwidth costs! (No such thing as unlimited bandwidth Cheesy)

Also whats the diffrence between these packages and the "homeworker" packages? I'm not sure with the diffrences between the two - how much bandwidth does homeworker offer?

Thanks, impressed with plusnet so far though Cheesy
Brett
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

512 -> 1meg

Premier is unlimited, there are no caps or restrictions, nothing, nought, nowt, zilch, zero... You can use as much bandwidth as you like, and PlusNet have said this over and over in many places so it must be true Wink.

Now the difficult Q. Why did you select homeworker in the first place as that is primarily a business product? The reason I ask is the broadband home products are for residential/home use and don't replace homeworker. Homeworker is for those using their ADSL connection for business use from home (i.e. VPN connections to the office). If you still do this then you cannot use the broadband home accounts.

Now, assuming you can't change due to the above reason, you will have to wait until the end of sept when the whole of the business products are due to be revamped (including the homeworker) with the likelyhood of reduced prices.

Homeworker is also unlimited bandwidth (as are all the business and older products). It is only the new broadband home (non premier) accounts that have caps (but they are not actually caps as you can go over your usage limit and just pay extra per GB used). Just click on the info link on the broadband home products page.
N/A

512 -> 1meg

Premier is unlimited, there are no caps or restrictions, nothing, nought, nowt, zilch, zero... You can use as much bandwidth as you like, and PlusNet have said this over and over in many places so it must be true Wink.

lol but theres got to be a cut off point, theres no such thing as unlimited bandwidth (I used to be in the hosting game, I know Wink)

Now the difficult Q. Why did you select homeworker in the first place as that is primarily a business product? The reason I ask is the broadband home products are for residential/home use and don't replace homeworker. Homeworker is for those using their ADSL connection for business use from home (i.e. VPN connections to the office). If you still do this then you cannot use the broadband home accounts.

Ah I wasn't sure on the diffrence. Thanks for clearing that up, I know what you mean by unlimited but surely theres a clause in the AUP saying "we can disconnect you if you use too much bandwidth" just wondered what that limit was.

Thanks Cheesy
Brett
Community Veteran

512 -> 1meg

No clause, no limit.

Repeat after me...

There is no limit to unlimited

Wink

OK, OK... there is a limit...

Your only limit is how much data you can download with your ADSL connection.
N/A

512 -> 1meg

11.2 If we think that your use of the Service may:
(a) impair the security of the system and/or the network used to provide the Service; or
(b) cause detrimental performance of the Service to you or any other Customer;
we may suspend your access to the Service or parts of the Service. Suspension is further explained in paragraphs 15 and 16. If possible, we will give you prior notice if we do suspend your service.

Doesn't this technically mean that at their disposal they can cut you off if you use too much system resources which can affect other people (bandwidth), i'm just picking now but still Wink always best to be safe. Good value though £29.99 (considering i'm paying £23 for 512).

Anyway thanks for your help
Community Veteran

512 -> 1meg

As I said earlier, plusnet have stated several times there are no limits on the premier products. If you really want them to state this again, I'm sure someone from support will do so below.

I think both a and b are to cover situations when you lauch DoS attacks on other users or are found to be sending out viruses, or are doing something you should not on your www or cgi webspace. It is unlikely that you using 100/200GB or more per month is going to effect the overall speed of PlusNets systems.

So technically PlusNet could limit you via those clauses but in practice they don't apply to the amount you download on your ADSL line.
N/A

512 -> 1meg

Product descriptions are a part opf the T&C's and AUPs in there own right. They can't advertise one fact, then counteract it in a Term of Contract. That is illegal advertising.

The points you refer to in the contract are correct. However, these are of main concern to people hosting websites.

If you are honestly after limits for the premier product, how about

512Kb = 172GB a month
1Mb = 335GB a month
2Mb = 670GB a month
N/A

512 -> 1meg

petervaughan back at the start of this thread you mention that VNPing should be done on ADSL home worker and not home, just to clarify does that mean you cant vnp at all from a home connection? I use it currently from my home package for doing alsorts of things such as lan games with friends / fixing friends pcs remotely etc...
N/A

512 -> 1meg

Technically you can VPN from home connections, yes. However, if you're doing this regularly to your office, then you should consider switching to the HomeWorker or Business accounts, otherwise you would be in breach of PlusNet's T&Cs.
N/A

512 -> 1meg

fair enough I havnt had to vpn into my workplace yet thankfully so havent breached any t&c as all my vpn is non work based Smiley
N/A

512 -> 1meg

Just for the record what exactly is VPN?
N/A

512 -> 1meg

VPN = Vertual Private network

Basically connecting two machines together via the internet so they act as if they are on a LAN together.