cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

512 easystart contract up,why pay£30upgrade 2 use lite .

N/A

im running a ticket at the moment as my 512 easy start package ready 2 expire,asked if i could change 2 any package for and upgrade[yes]they said.but you can change 2 Premier 1mb for £15 or if i wanted too go on the 1mb or2mb lite it would cost me £30upgrade.Surly these prices should be same or lite being cheaper?as i wont be costing +net money as wont bee downloading near the 120gb or of any chance being in the bbp...Also asked them if take up the upgrade will my contract be on a monthly basis[just give some notice before i migrate,[Think its month notice]as ive served my year ,plus not wanting tied 2 them for another year[as a lot of price wars ready to start with broadband]and as not working at the moment wanting cheaper and better service.Also is anyones else pages on +nets takin for ages 2 load at the moment or is it just mine[all other sites i go 2 fine].
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The costs are determined by 2 things (actually more but 2 in your case):

1 - Does the speed change. If yes, you pay £14.99 which covers the BT charge for a speed change.

2 - Is the monthly cost for the new product lower than it is now. If it is, a further admin fee is charged of £14.99 because downgrades (whether it is speed or cost) are not subsidised so the admin fee is payable.

So to switch to 1Mb premier, the speed changes but the monthly cost is higher so only item 1 applies. The admin fee in item 2 is waived i.e. PlusNet subsidise upgrades in monthly cost.

To switch to 1Mb lite (with 1MB or 2MB inclusive usage), the speed changes and the monthly fee reduces from £24.99 -> £14.99 (1Mb usage) or £16.74 (2Mb usage) so both item 1 & item 2 apply.

There has, and still is, on-going discussions regarding the admin fees that plusnet charge for a downgrade where the monthly cost reduces as many, like you, are not happy with this situation and can't see why such a high admin fee is necessary.

Easystart is a monthly contract product so an change of product should be on a monthly contract, so you only need to give 30 days notice to migrate (you can actually migrate within that 30 days if you wish).
N/A

yes petervaughan
,but the package i was wanting was 2mb at£19.99+5gb=£25.99,[which is a higher price than the package im on[think ]its £24.99 for the 512 easystart.So in fact im going higher on both so what price would it be £14.99 or £29.99?Also asked if they could tell me if my usage ever went over 5gb in any months in the year +they said not in the past 3 months[i new that with lookin at my usage]surly they should be able 2 tell me if any months i used more in the year[or is it they cant be botherd lookin?]
Community Veteran

Now I'm getting confused as I just checked the Residential Upgrade Price List and it apperas there is also a charge for going from an old product to a new one where the new one is a lite product but this is not charges if the new product is premier. Gee this is even more confusing.
N/A

tell me about it ,im confused[dont know why the £29.99 instead of £14.99].My,be you could find out more on the facts.CHEERS
Community Veteran

Ah, I understand now...

The reason it's £29.99 is because you pay £14.99 to change speeds (512K -> 1Mb or 2Mb), and an admin fee of £15 to move from an Easystart account (which is equivalent to a premier account on the new products) to a lite account.

Even new users who are on broadband home 1Mb premier who switch to a broadband home lite 1Mb account have to pay £14.99 because they are going from premier to lite.

Yes it is confusing as there are many variables that determin what you pay. I'm sure it is logical but is difficult to understand.
N/A

Yes it is confusing as there are many variables that determin what you pay. I'm sure it is logical but is difficult to understand.But i thought easystart was a finished package now ,so surly if so why not let me go on lite for free[instead of hitting people with more charges]+net could at least do that for us,for all the sorrys the,ve gave us threw-out the past year[problems that they had,which efected every1 else]?.
N/A

also if some1 who is just joining[migrate]to +net ,on say 512kb,chose 512 lite and upgraded to 2mb lite,it would only cost them the £14.99?Where is the fairness in this to people who have been with +net over the year/s over the good/bad times[more bad than good may i add]and we get a extra £15 rammed up our a###.?...FAIR-I DONT THINK SO.
N/A

plenty of hits yet not many replys[come on help here]
N/A

my 2 cents.

I just think its not a very good way to encourage people to upgrade ..or in fact to stay with the service at all. Other countries in Europe are on 5 and 10MB lines as a STANDARD for home use. How will the UK be encouraged to upgrade from 512kb if all these fees keep getting added :?:
The fact that the information is so scattered across the site doesn't help either.
:idea: Why aren't the admin fees and whatever else they lump in shown on the actual page where you can choose a new package..... because if people saw all the extra costs, a lot of them would not bother upgrading! .

Also, its not really important to me as a paying customer what the package is called. I just want it to do what it says on the can.
No one would be happy if their local council changed their logo and then increased council taxes to pay for it. Easystart/Home/Whatever .. the sooner everyone moves over from discontinued products, the less account types the ISP will have to look after. That saving alone to them should cancel out £15 for an account-name-change, shouldn't it?
I think that the 'discontinuation routine' is being used in more and more market sectors now to rake in the sly dosh. Its always gonna be profit over practicality; lolly over logic :roll:

In this instance I cannot afford the downtime that changing ISPs and email addresses would incur because of my studies and with all due credit, for myself(an average 2-5GB/month user), PlusNet has been a reliable and efficient service to date. The lesser of a growing heap of evils, I imagine. Smiley

Dylan, North Wales
N/A

CHEERS,swartdrak,they will loose customers over this but +net seem not too care?These prices should be plain for all 2 see before people sign up[there main opening page].
N/A

I,ve decided 2 bite the bullet and go for[2gb+5mb lite] still i hope if they change there policy of the £15 admin costs-we,ll get a refund?
lowry
Grafter

If they do change their policy, it is unlikely that you will get a refund. Think of it being like a special offer in a shop (let's say for example, a computer for £999 instead of its original £1299 pricetag), and the offer started on 22nd March and ended on the 31st March 2005. If you had purchased the computer on the 18th March, just before the special offer began, would you expect to go in a few days later and claim the difference?

matt Wink
N/A

I myself would go in and ask for the difference.
N/A

..botheration..

I think that plusnet are not bothered because not enough people in this country bother to stand up and be counted. They just sit back and take it all 'cos they're too lazy to follow up their complaints.
From a business point of view, if the 'problem' is not big enough to cause a major disruption to the profitability of the company then its usually written off as an acceptable loss. Entrepreneurs know the game and they know they cannot please everyone all of the time.
So unless people make more noise, this issue is going to be swept under the rug.