cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 to 1

N/A

50 to 1

Hello everbody. I've been thinking (so that's what that burning smell was!). Just a lately I've been getting really slow download, but normal upload. Plusnet have checked what they can and declare my connection fit. I was thinking though, could it be that I'm on the same modem (I'm competing with 50 others for one modem at the exchange) as someone (or ones) that are downloading heavily. Reason I say this is that my connection speed varies wildly - somtimes (mostly) 3 k-bits and sometimes 50 k-bit (but only a 5am when everyone else is in bed). Is anyone else getting the same problem and have they come up with a solution? Is it possible to get broadband connection that isn't contended (is that the word?) without paying the earth?
Anyway chowfornow,
Robert.
--
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 50 to 1

> Hello everbody. I've been thinking (so that's what that burning smell was!). Just a lately I've been getting really slow download, but normal upload. Plusnet have checked what they can and declare my connection fit. I was thinking though, could it be that I'm on the same modem (I'm competing with 50 others for one modem at the exchange) as someone (or ones) that are downloading heavily. Reason I say this is that my connection speed varies wildly - somtimes (mostly) 3 k-bits and sometimes 50 k-bit (but only a 5am when everyone else is in bed). Is anyone else getting the same problem and have they come up with a solution? Is it possible to get broadband connection that isn't contended (is that the word?) without paying the earth?
> Anyway chowfornow,
> Robert.
>
> --
>

Look around these forums. Lots of us are getting the same. Great during the day. Come evening (peak times) God help you.
Saturn
Grafter

The 50:1 contention ratio relates to a 10Mb connection between your local exchange and the next node towards the internet spine. It is not up to 50 users trying to access a single modem at the exchange as you suggest. A contention ratio of 50:1 means you will have 200Kb bandwidth worst case. If you are getting worse than this there will be another contributing factor to your poor performance.
N/A

Does a similar principle apply to cable? I'm thinking of switching to 1Mb.
Saturn
Grafter

I believe the cable network has a similar contention strategy but I don't know precisely how it has been implemented (it certainly won't be a sharing of modem resources). You don't have to go to cable merely to obtain a 1M connection. A 1M ADSL connection can be provided as a 'business' connection. Business connections have a 20:1 contention ratio.