Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4mb & 8mb service

FireStorm
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

I have already regraded to 4mb premier, So all i really wanna know now is:-

A) Does this mean my upload speed will be 400k?

B) When is it being made available?

thanks
15 REPLIES
N/A

4mb & 8mb service

a 4 Mb connection is the DOWNLOAD speed not the upload.
This means it will be a 4096/256 connection which is about 480kbps download and 30kbps upload.

I asked plusnet last thursday "when" and was told around the end of the year.
LiamM
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

The 4Mb service will have a 400kbps upload, yes. However rollout is not yet scheduled. MaxDSL is currently undergroing a trial, and a rollout is due to begin in September. We're likely to see a similar process as with the upgrades now, i.e. the MaxDSL rollout being over a period of months.
Community Veteran

4mb & 8mb service

You are basically wasting money on the upto 4Mbs product. You should have gone for the upto 2Mbs product @ £21.99 then ugraded for free when the faster speeds were released, which as stated above, may not be until after sept 2005 which is 4 months of fees away at least.
LiamM
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

You should have gone for the upto 2Mbs product @ £21.99 then ugraded for free when the faster speeds were released

Plusnet have stated that this upgrade will not be free though haven't they? It will however be less than the amount you will save by signing up to 2Mb now.
Community Veteran

4mb & 8mb service

Upgrades where you pay more each month have always been free to move to. I have not seen any comments from PN that state this is likely to change with the introduction of the faster speeds. In fact if you upgraded to the upto 8Mbs product now it would not cost you anything to upgrade.
LiamM
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

I'm sure it has been mentioned. As that is their 'incentive' (a lame one I know) for people to stay at £29.99 and £39.99 now.

Perhaps I am wrong. Hmmm.....
FireStorm
Grafter

not wasting money

LOL im not wasting money, I was paying £39 for 2mb before, now im paying £29.

I did mean 400kps upload, This is much more useful to me than 4mb download. I believe the upload is 800kps on the 8mb service.
N/A

4mb & 8mb service

it's 400kbs for the 4 & 8 mbit services as they are both ipstream home, the ipstream office (20:1 accounts) should get 800kbs
N/A

Re: not wasting money

LOL im not wasting money, I was paying £39 for 2mb before, now im paying £29.

This pantomine about unavailable products goes on.
You are wasting money, you're paying for something that you are not recieving.
It sounds like you have also wasted £14.99 to go on to £29.99 per month when you should have gone to £21.99 per month for your 2mb

The whole thing is a farce and a rip-off.
As much as I like Plusnet for the good value 2Mb service at £21.99, they have let themselves down over this con trick.
FireStorm
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

Im lost :roll:

I was on a 1mb(£29.99) service > regraded to 2mb(£39.99)

I then saw i could get 4mb premier(£29.99) so i regraded again (Plusnet refunded this regrade fee)

So i am now getting 2mb for less than i was paying before. Im not sure plus would have let me continue to pay £39? did i screw up somewhere?
N/A

4mb & 8mb service

I'm not suprised you're lost, you have been sold a product that does not exist.
Only PluNet can put this right, but I doubt they will.
They might feel guilty and put you on the £21.99 2Mb for no regrade fee, which is where you should be.
As it is their fault there's no harm in asking, good luck.
FireStorm
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

Im not upset with Plusnet, they do clearly state that it is pre-order only. Maybe i should have gone for the 2mb product, I do however agree that i should only be chagred for 2mb until 4mb is available but I belive the £14 regrade fee goes to BT anyway.

I started this thread to find out when it would be available. I'm none the wiser!
LiamM
Grafter

4mb & 8mb service

I started this thread to find out when it would be available. I'm none the wiser!

Truth is, Plusnet do not know either. And even when it is available, they don't know if it's going to be available on your line. If it isn't, you won't get any money back.

The service is still in a BT Trial. If it passes the trial, which it almost certainly will, then the rollout is due to start in September. This is a tentative date, nobody really knows what BT will do. Even then, the rollout is likely to be spread over a good few months, since each exchange needs equipment upgrading and installing. So you could be waiting for months and months. Nobody is sure.

In short, they are supplying a service which they know they cannot supply, and making you pay more for it. Do you not feel somewhat annoyed that I have exactly the same connection as you, and I am paying £8 less than you?

I think it's rediculous personally.
FireStorm
Grafter

yes

yes i feel bloody annoyed now you put it like that, I wish this information was made available.

My uncle is on a "upto" 2mb service and he is only getting 512k connection. i kinda feel a bit silly now cos i showed 3 other people the 4mb service and they too have upgraded, if they find out it wont be allong for ages they will kick my a$$.

/me hides