cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3com replacment router problems

N/A

3com replacment router problems

Hi,

First time on here.

I am using a 3 com router into a switch (LAN 8 PC's).

No problems so far, but when the 3com router disconects it takes a long time to reconnect. Plusnet said that they would send me a new one. (And everyone else that has one).

I received the router a few weeks ago, and have been trying to get it connected ever since ! with out any luck I must add.

I have followed the instructions on teh plus net set up. seems the router can see the internet, and the PC the router, but thats as far as it goes.

Has anyone had the same problems ?

PS If I get it working I will add to this posting.


HouseNet.
8 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

Thane,

I had some issues setting up my Solwise - the ADSL cable was faulty. Try using your old cable from the 3COM...
N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems


> I have followed the instructions on teh plus net set up. seems the router can see the internet, and the PC the router, but thats as far as it goes.
>
> Has anyone had the same problems ?

I couldn't connect for a while because the ppp-0 interface of my solwise router wasn't set to be a default route. (Possibly my own fault if I did something wrong in the course of changing the router's ethernet address.) You can check if that's your problem as well in the WAN section of the web interface under ppp. I got around it by deleting ppp-0 and recreating it with "enable default route" set. Copy down the details of your ppp-0 before deleting it, and keep all the settings apart from default route the same. (The solwise manual on the cd says that you can't change the default route setting of an existing interface, you have to delete and make a new one.)
N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

> Hi,
>
> First time on here.
>
> I am using a 3 com router into a switch (LAN 8 PC's).
>
> No problems so far, but when the 3com router disconects it takes a long time to reconnect. Plusnet said that they would send me a new one. (And everyone else that has one).
>
> I received the router a few weeks ago, and have been trying to get it connected ever since ! with out any luck I must add.
>
> I have followed the instructions on teh plus net set up. seems the router can see the internet, and the PC the router, but thats as far as it goes.
>
> Has anyone had the same problems ?
>
> PS If I get it working I will add to this posting.
>
>
> HouseNet.

I can't even get to the configuration screen in my browser.
I've tried to set it up a couple of times with different cables including those currently in use with my 3com router. I get 3 lights on the router but nothing else.
It's back in the box wating for a response from support to my open ticket which has remained idle for 8 days.

N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

Make sure you use the default sign in and password in CAPS.

Also try connecting a computer direct to the router. That's what I'm doing. I can't get it to work through the hub.

> Hi,
>
> First time on here.
>
> I am using a 3 com router into a switch (LAN 8 PC's).
>
> No problems so far, but when the 3com router disconects it takes a long time to reconnect. Plusnet said that they would send me a new one. (And everyone else that has one).
>
> I received the router a few weeks ago, and have been trying to get it connected ever since ! with out any luck I must add.
>
> I have followed the instructions on teh plus net set up. seems the router can see the internet, and the PC the router, but thats as far as it goes.
>
> Has anyone had the same problems ?
>
> PS If I get it working I will add to this posting.
>
>
> HouseNet.

N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

> Also try connecting a computer direct to the router. That's what I'm doing. I can't get it to work through the hub.

Check what firmware version you have in your solwise sar110. If its 1.38 then downgrade to 1.37. There are a lot of reports re problems with 1.38 and the ethernet interface. If it is 1.37 then most prob its a hardware problem with the router.

N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

Lookin at the responcs so far, seems a lot of people are having problems, but does anyone have one that is working correctly ?

I just got the responce from plusnet directing me to the setup screen

http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=242

This is the same as before and still does not have the correct settings. Ref router ENABLED !!!!

Seeing that we have 3com routers and they are working i guess the pressure is not really on to sort this out yet.

I have found a way around the 3com reconnecting problem if anyone is interested ?


N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

> Lookin at the responcs so far, seems a lot of people are having problems, but does anyone have one that is working correctly ?

Yes, I've had no problems since I made ppp-0 be a default route (see earlier post).

Stephen Isard
N/A

RE: 3com replacment router problems

> Make sure you use the default sign in and password in CAPS.
>
> Also try connecting a computer direct to the router. That's what I'm doing. I can't get it to work through the hub.
>

If you're connecting through a hub you need a crossover RJ45 cable, not a standard patch cable. The 3COM had a little switch at the back that let you swap between direct/crossover cabling, but the Solwise doesn't have this feature.