cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3Com Wireless Router Sudenly Stopped Syncing?

N/A

Hi Hoping all you people out there can give me a hand?

After many happy months our 3 Com Office Connect router has suddenly stopped connecting to PN. It's our houses's wireless base station model 3CRWE754G72A and its about 8 months old if that helps?

On the 3rd Jan just after 6pm the router seemed to disconnect from PN - no worries, I though I don't need it at the mo it may just be a network outage, however as you may of guess still nothing from it.

When I look at the config pages for it and the logs its' Data Rate readings are as follows:

Upstream            Downstream

Noise Margin -0.5dB -0.5dB
Output Power -0.5dBm -0.5dBm
Attenuation -0.5dB -0.5dB

Now I'm guessing this isn't right but other than that I've no idea. Next thing however is that my old Speedtouch ADSL modem works no problem using the same splitter and cable to connect to the phone line.

Does this signify my not so old router has died of unknown causes or could something else be slightly a miss?

I'm hoping to take the unit round to a friends house in a few days a re-test but ideally I'd like to know if I should start looking around online for a new one.

Any help and advice would be warmly welcomed.

Thanks all.
24 REPLIES
N/A

looks like it's packed up mate.. Shockedops: as you say it's suddenly stopped working, but the other modem works fine and you haven't changed anything.

Your stats are a bit weird - are you sure its definitly sync loss or is it just not being able to connect to plus net?

You could try doing a factory reset, and upgrading the firmware. If that doesn't work AND it still doesn't work on your mates connection then I think it's time to ditch the 3com and get a netgear :lol:
N/A

To be honest , I was starting to think as much Sad I upgraded the firmware last night and still no joy and the ADSL stats are reading exactly the same.

I think it's not syncing as the DSL sync light flashes for a while(activity), during this the router says its Gh Handshaking? then stops flashing and goes into Training. I never get a solid green light to indicate a solid link. After a few more seconds it starts the process all over again and continues until I pull the plug.

If it's time to buy a new router then so be it - can anyone give any advice Netgear or not? We've three laptops in the house with various makes of 11b and 11g cards in them, one desktop and one xbox.

Hopefully I'll get to test the router again in a few days but I'll keep an eye out for any suggestions and help and then post some feedback if I find out more.

Thansk again for any help,

Paul.
N/A

N-, N-, No.

N-, N-, no, I can't bring myself to use that word. LinkSys? I can type that. WAG54GS or WAG54GX2 depending on your desire for MIMO? Others can say what model of N-, Barbie sarnie box you might go for.
N/A

I would go with the Netgear rather than Linksys. While their "live support" is very good their equipment seems to go bad whereby things aren't quite right before they eventually give up Shockedops:
I have just bought a Zyxel 660HW which has been stable and very configurable
N/A

No such thing as a perfect router?

I would go with the Netgear rather than Linksys. While their "live support" is very good their equipment seems to go bad whereby things aren't quite right before they eventually give up

ROFLMAO. fourwheels, you have just described my experience with the Barbie sarnie box. Maybe they all have the potential to be pants regardless of manufacturer, depending on what day of the week they were assembled, or what was at the back of the shelf on the day they ran short of components.
N/A

Re: No such thing as a perfect router?

Maybe they all have the potential to be pants regardless of manufacturer, depending on what day of the week they were assembled, or what was at the back of the shelf on the day they ran short of components.

I think that is about the size of it....
N/A

Hmmm, of all the netgears I have bought and setup ive not had any problems.

But then again I only ever use the DG834G which is by far the most stablest compared to the others. Dont touch the 834GT or the 834PN as they are relatively new, and as you only have a mixture of b and g devices you won't need the faster speeds anyway
N/A

Well the mystery deepens.

I'm round at a friends with the router plugged in and typing this when connected. The router synced up first time with the exchange with no problems,

So my old modem works in my house with no problems yet the router can't sync with the local exchange. Yet the router works at another location without issue.

Any idea's if this is a problem I can actually raise with PN or how I go about tackling it? Could this be a potential issue with the exchanges. Is there a way I can check if both houses connect to the same exchanges or the next thing to test? (We live only a few streets away??)

Any help once again greatfully recieved as now I don't want to go out and buy some new kit if I can't gaurantee it'll work in our place

Once again thanks for any help and advice.

Paul
Community Veteran

I'm wondering if anything has changed with your line loss?
I have known some routers that are less sensetive than others and just wont work (sync) above a certain line loss. While a newer model worked fine.
N/A

Follow Up:

I've just brought it home and reconnected everything and for brief moment I watched it sync! It looked like everything was going to be fine again, hurah! - It even seemed to login to PN fine... ...but then it lost its' sync and started cycling again. blast!

At first the ADSL readings were

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 29dB 3dB
Output Power 10.5dBm 19.5dBm
Attenuation 18dB 31dB

but now I'm back to the original reading of:

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin -0.5dB -0.5dB
Output Power -0.5dBm -0.5dBm
Attenuation -0.5dB -0.5dB

Regarding the line loss - Is there anyway I can check this? The router to be fair to it is actually newer than the modem. The USB modem was provided by another ISP when I first signed up to broadband a couple of years before I joined PN so it's a fair bit older.

I'm guessing I should be able to hand this over to plus net support now as all my equipment seems to be OK but is there anything that I can ask them to run or c heck to get things moving quickly?

Thanks again for the continuing help.

Paul.
Community Veteran

Follow Up:
Regarding the line loss - Is there anyway I can check this? .

I would say that the set of figures you quoted:-

Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 29dB 3dB
Output Power 10.5dBm 19.5dBm
Attenuation 18dB 31dB

are the true figures for your line and show that it is well within limits for a 2meg line.
I can't really see what PlusNet can do to help as the line looks OK and I suspect that the fault is really in router now.
Especially as another one works on your line.
N/A

Not wishing to dismiss this outright, but if the router works perfectly on the other broadband line 100% of the time (well we used it for a few hours without any issue) could it still be a problem with the router?

Thanks,

Paul.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

It indeed can.

As advised by John above, each modem may be more sensative to noise. As they are two seperate lines, without the router statistics, we have no way of proving the theory.

The fact another modem works just fine though, is very indicative that the modem is the cause.

Unfortunatly, there is nothing that a fault report could do to fix this problem. The fact that alternate hardware works, would result in any fault report being instantly dismissed.

Kind Regards,
Community Veteran

Presumably on the other line you will have changed the parameters ie name, password etc.
Are you 100% certain that you have reset them back to the ones needed for your own connection to PlusNet. ?

The only other thing I can now suggest ist to plug it directlyinto the master socket with all other things disconnected if thats not already been tried, and if it is one of the newer sockets to reove the top and connect to the test socket inside,
This removes everythng off the line other than the router.