cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3 Month Absence - 2mbit IP Profile?

N/A

Hi,

In November 2006 we had a house fire. The telephone line was not effected, however we had no electricity and did not live in the house until yesterday (3rd March 2007), I have since then reconnected to my ADSL connection to find that my line is now at 2mb.. it should be and used to be 8mb (connecting at about 6.5mbit)... I also, according to BT speedtester, have an IP profile of 2mbit.

I understand that MAX DSL initially connects you at 2mbit when it is first activated, but since the connection has been activated for approximately 6 months wouldn't have thought this would be the case, the only other thing I could think of is that the inactivity for the last 3 months has caused the connection to be "reset".

Can anyone confirm if this is the case and that my connection speed will be restored to what it once was?

Or do I need to poke Plusnet to fix it?

Thanks,
Chris
26 REPLIES
jazz
Grafter

Sorry to hear about your house fire - hope all is well now. I think your inactivity has caused your line to "reset". If you diconnect/reconnect each day for ten days (as when first max'd) it should raise the speeds back again.
Isitme
Grafter

Try connecting direct to the 'test' socket. Although your line may not appear to have been effected, the internal wiring may have suffered. Even if it was rewired, this is no guarantee as it could have been done incorrectly. Check your line stats as you are, then check from the test socket. If there is little or no difference, this confirms that the problem is external and will be down to BT and/or Plusnet.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Hi Chris,

I've made a couple of adjustments here for you, try disconnecting and reconnecting. This should start working pretty quickly but if it hasn't improved in 48 hours do some BT Speedtests and put the results in a ticket to help & support.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Hi,

Thanks for the help, tho I'm a little confused...

I reconnected like you said, and noticed that the downstream had improved to about 3.5mbit... a few hours afterwards I had to unplug my router and plug it back in again and when it reconnected it showed it being back to 2mbit... I decided to do a BT speed test and it now says my IP profile is now 1000kb!

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 1000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 2240 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 858 kbps

Certainly a little confusing.. Can I still expect things to improve?
Community Veteran

If you can post up the Signal to Noise ratio from your router.
That will give us an idea if your line will support faster speeds.

As I have found SRN is not a constant, and can change throughout the day.

Chilly
N/A

Sorry to sound dense, how do I get my SNR?

I also went to the "High-speed Broadband" area of my account (under Connection Settings) and it says "Your current broadband speed is 1000 Kbps"...

I don't understand Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Just passing Smiley try here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm and look for your router/modem
N/A

Ok thank you, I'll try that when I get home Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

Strange isn't it how BT show your profile being 1000KB and now plusnet's Chris has now gone quiet.

You could easily be mistaken by thinking they'd done it on purpose!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

I have to admit I would have expected a little more interest in my problem...

I have paid for 3 months of premier broadband without using a single bit of bandwidth...

According to BT I should be able to expect speeds up or around 5mbit... which I was 3 months ago...
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

@ckitch

Looks like BT Wholesale have reduced the speed on your line to keep it stable, it's possible that something is causing interference, try to rule anything from your premises out eg extension leads, sky boxes etc.

@okrzynska

Unfortunately today is my day off, I thought i'd have a look from home though.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

Right now, the only things connected to the phone line is the phone and the router...

My router isn't connected to the master socket however, so I will try it on there and see how much of a difference there may be... but again, nothing has changed in respect of the phone line for the last 3 months so I don't see what it could be...
N/A

Ok, I plugged in the router to the master socket but only with about 300kbit improvement...

Here is what my router reports back to me for noise margins etc...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2112 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 43 db 13.5 db
Noise Margin 6 db 18 db

I am getting a little frustrated as to why this is happening, it was going so well 3 months ago...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

The only thing I can think is that the fire caused some damage to the BT cables or during your absence they switched something.
With that attenuation you should be getting much better speeds but the noise margin is killing it. It looks like it could be a problem with the wiring.