cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mbit active....happy until I read this.....

N/A

Just had my 2mbit line go active and was over the moon at my 200KB/s downloads. One of the first things I downloaded though was this article of a guy in the US who has just had a 15mbit down/5mbit up line installed for $35 per month.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11150893~mode=flat
from his thread it says

Your download speed : 1834.9 KB/sec .
Your upload speed : 1837109 bps, or 1794 kbps.

So when can we expect this in the UK? have BT heard of fibre optics....do they have any....and more importantly is there any up to my front door I can latch on to!?

happily crawling along at 2mb :-)
VB
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You will have a very very long wait for this.
N/A

Hahaha thats typical of americans wanting more bandwidth per user than any other country...

no wonder the internet slows down after mid-day when america comes online...probably all those bloomin spammers using their imense bandwidth to barrage the rest of us with electronic crud!

I reckon our best hope for faster speeds are the new vdsl and up and coming technologies!!
N/A

What is the maximum theoretical capacity of our current copper infrastructure? 4mbit, 8mbit....64mbit?

The reason I can see for needing this capacity is if more services start being delivered over this connection, such as 'cable' TV, especially hi-definition programming. Does anyone have any idea what the requirements are for that sort of broadcasting and would we be able to sustain that over our existing infrastructure?
N/A

fast internet

Just for your information, in sweden in the city's there you can get 100Mbit Fibreoptic cable connnection for £60 per month, ok you have a capping limit of 300Gb but then every 100Gb there after is like a tenner or something. If you don't beleve me please check out http://www.bredband.com but its in swedish, but there is a few english pages but the dont realy go into the diffrent products. Their "1Mbit" so to speak what everyone can nearly have is like a 10Mbits up/down for like £30 per month with no capping. They also offer a 24Mbits ADSL!!! yes, the other products i have mention are fibreoptic but the 24Mbits is Adsl with 1Mbit up for £35 i think.
N/A

Yep, Sweden is far ahead of America in the number of users on high bandwidth connections, such as 10mb lines and upwards.
Cloudmaster
Grafter

N/A

Sweden and Japan have had fast speeds for a long time now, but hey have a whole different way of regulating and selling the network.

The UK has a whole different way of regulation, which is what causes the problems, that and corporate/shareholder greed.

For years, we have seen a regulator that has been scared to regulate the company it was intended to regulate. Making them pointless. Ofcom have made better steps, but some feel they are hyped up PR, intended to make them look good at the start, then dumb down later.

Then comes the way BT dominate the marketplace and network.

We could have had a similar network, or one under build, if it wasn't for that dominance. Should a company jump to building one, BT can jump higher.

In other words, it is comercial suicide to attempt such a project.

BT is shareholder controled. As a result, the only two ways BT will rollout is if they can see a good short term recovery rate in any rollout, or if there stock value is threatened.

In other words, shareholder don't want to put such outlay unless they can recoup quickly, unless another comapny jumps first.
N/A

Thats it then!!! Im emigrating to Sweden....home of the blonde and beautiful and Insanely fast Internet Connections!!!!!

100Mbit!!!! 300 GB Cap!!! My God!!!

Well i suppose with such short days and lots of darkness, the guys can visit other parts of the world virtually with those sorts of speeds!!!
N/A

Japan rekon they will have 10Gbit connections by the year 2010 :shock:
N/A

Yes. But they have an existing infrastructure on which to build the extra network. Note, it is also 2010. which is a long way off.

Remember, all we have at the moment from BT and most Cable companies, is a small peice of copper, and/or a coax cable.

These are clearly not capable of sustaining speeds very high. Copper at 8Mb but a super short range, and coax at 30Mb, but requires that you have no phone services and a single cable to every premesis and huge boxes at the end of the road (not feasable).

In other words, to acheive anywhere near 10Mb to the home and business and affordable rates, a whole new network needs to be built. On top of the network, they need to place fiber optic cable in every street in the UK.

Can you imagine the cost? Now can you imagine why it isn't being done yet?

Are the government offering incentives? Are they forcing changes for there nothing but "all mouth, no trousers" broadband britain the allways paroot on about?

If you are so annoyed that you can't get these services, then please do emegrate. The situation isn't going to change any time soon. Even if they announced an immediate rollout tomorrow, at a fat pace, you are still talking years befgore we see anything out of it.

If you feel that "rollout tomorrow" should happen, then why do you not hold shares in these companies? Only shareholder get a say. They are the ones saying "our investment is at risk", regardless of those payments you make to these companies for an internet service.

Aditionaly. People still claim there is no risk by doing this sort of network. If this is you, please look at NTL and telewest. These two companies have just come out of the Red because they can't make money against these dominant comapnies. They have half built cable networks all around the country, they they can't afford to finish.
N/A

i was just adding some facts to the discussion, i accept the fact that the uk is in the stoneage compared to some countries (: theres really no need to whine about it.
N/A

I think people often look at the grass on the other side of the fence. I have 2MB connection & this is really not needed but was available at an amazing price from +Net so i took it. There are many countries out there that do not have any infrastructure or a poor one & are lucky to get a phone call through to some areas. I think we often as a race look too much at the "i could have that & moan more about not having it", than "i have this & it is great", i am glad i live in this part of the world. I agree it is human nature to look forward but remember not every one can see.

Respect.............................

Fudskie :idea:
N/A

Re: 2mbit active....happy until I read this.....

Just had my 2mbit line go active and was over the moon at my 200KB/s downloads. One of the first things I downloaded though was this article of a guy in the US who has just had a 15mbit down/5mbit up line installed for $35 per month.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,11150893~mode=flat
from his thread it says

Your download speed : 1834.9 KB/sec .
Your upload speed : 1837109 bps, or 1794 kbps.

So when can we expect this in the UK? have BT heard of fibre optics....do they have any....and more importantly is there any up to my front door I can latch on to!?

happily crawling along at 2mb :-)
VB

You must be joking. BT cant even upgrade 512 to 1mb without huge delays and cockups.
N/A

lol classic

[censored]