cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb upgrade but connection keeps dropping . Help........

N/A

ok, just got my free 2mb upgrade,contacted pn to get the throttle lifted, now i cant keep a connection open for any worthwile length of time.i keep losing the connection and furthermore,it now takes a.g.e.s to achieve an initial connection,my modem flashes for ever and takes a few attempts before it will sync,although when it does it syncs at 2.2mb,only problem is it doesnt last for long ... what gives Huh
12 REPLIES
daviez
Grafter

What are the attentuation/loss levels reported by your router/modem?

Look for a router/modem configuration page and something measured in dB. Post all the numbers you see in this thread.
N/A

Hi, here you go

attenuation up +27.0db down +47.0db
N/A

Hi there,

A downstream attenuation of more than 43db is deemed by BT to be unstable for reliable 2mb.

Are you connecting via an extension socket or trailing lead?

Can you test your connection at the master socket with all other devices disconnected and see if the same attenuation level is reported?
N/A

Hi, i have changed all my leads and tried a new high quality splitter ,and connected via the master socket but the problem persists.the downstream attenuation is now showing as between 49 & 50.
i have raised a ticket with support but i dont hold much hope for a sucessful resolution after past experiences with support and after reading countless posts from people with the same problem as mine.
cheers.
N/A

Hi there,

What does the BTw checker here say your line will support?
N/A

Here is what i get from the link you provided...

Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed

no problems there then as it used to say 1mb max until the upgrade was done.
cheers.
N/A

Explain the situation to PN in a ticket. Mention that your current stats are at varience with what the BT database (known to be wrong at times) is saying about your line.

Ask for a woosh test to be done and compare the results with what you have.

Let us know the results.
N/A

here are the results,pn are gonna do another test then raise it with bt.

The whoosh test results are provided below.

Circuit In Sync
Upstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 27.5 dB
Cell Count 0
Downstream xDSL Link Info
Loop Loss 48.5 dB
Cell Count 0
N/A

48dB is pretty high for a reliable 2Mbit connection (although the SNR is a more important figure). The BT availability checker merely estimates the speeds available based on your geographic location, and doesn't take into account the many variables that can exist, including line quality and distance to the exchange.

It might be that you have to make a trade-off between speed and reliability. At 1Mbit the line would probably be more stable, and less likely to disconnect.
N/A

Yip,

The BT database is wrong in your case, based on their current position.

As the downstream attenuation is greater than 43db they will not upgrade you to 2mb.

1 mb is your max at present BT limits.
Phantom_Flan_Fl
Grafter

The BT checker always said I could get 2meg, though when I got it, it was unstable. Took 3 BT engineers and almost 6 weeks before I was downgraded to 1meg.

Strangely enough the BT checker now says 1meg.
N/A

well, now i find that i am back down to the 1mb service and i suppose i have to stick with that, roll on november when i am switching to ntl again where at least you dont have too pay for downtime as is the case with pn.