cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb line

N/A

2mb line

Hi,

I detailed previously problems I have had with my 2mb line.

As I got more frustrated I decided to experiment to see if there was a prob on the line.

My router reported a noise margin of 13-14db on the downstream. Plusnet said this was ok...

However, after unplugging I unplugged my sky plus modem cable the noise margin jumped to 24db! Can anyone confirm is this is a good noise margin? Other stats are power 10dbm upstream, 20dbm downstream and attenuation 16d up, 32db down.

One other thing I didnt know was that all devices should be plugged through a microfilter. The sky modem was directly connected to the socket. Should I therefore buy a filter? Will this improve the signal? Can I plug the sky modem back in then with the filter?

My DECT phone doesnt seem to affect the noise margin though! Stays at 24db whether in or out of the socket.

Any suggestions?!

Thanks,

Dan
2 REPLIES
N/A

2mb line

And can anyone explain these stats in my router?

Indicator Name
Near End Indicator
Far End Indicator

Fast Path FEC Correction

Interleaved Path FEC Correction

Fast Path CRC Error

Interleaved Path CRC Error

Loss of Signal Defect
---
---

Loss of Frame Defect
---
---

Loss of Power Defect
---
---

Fast Path HEC Error

Interleaved Path HEC Error
Community Veteran

2mb line

Ok, 24dB is very good.

Yes all phones, faxes, sky boxes, 56k modems etc must all be connected via a filter i.e. anything that was connected to your phone system should now go through an ADSL filter. I am not surprised the sky connection caused your problems.

The figures in your 2nd post are just stats for line losses, crc errors etc - a bad line can be seen if the various figures show high numbers (100's, 1000s etc). As they are all low or 0 it means you connection is very good and there is nothing interfering with or corrupting the data being transmitted or received.

So once you have a filter for your sky connectio (and any other equipment I mentioned above) you should not have any problems.

The best filter to use is this one.