cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb ADSL Available When I Signed Up, Now only 512kbps???????

N/A

None of the traffic management will affect your sync speed, it just limits how much data you can transfer to give an effective slowing down of your transfer. Level 4 is very strict in what speed it allows through.

I thought as much.

What speed were you syncing at and Is your router/model actually syncing at 512Kbs (588Kbs down, 288Kbs down) now.

What are your SNR and line attenuation figures. These will determin what speed your line supports.

Well, here's the stats from my router:http://www.ripperoo.plus.com/isp/info.jpg

Are the figures above outside the recommended limits for a 2mb service?

The BT database is often wrong in determining the speed your line will take as it depends on yoir line condition.

The thing is, when I now run the Plusnet connection speed tester, the results are now around 500kbps. I consistently had results in excess of 1800kbps up until approx 05/02/32006:

Plusnet or BT?

[Moderator's note by Tom (tomspcs): Changed images to URL links as the images were breaking the forum up.]
9 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Guys

Prior to signing up with Plusnet, I visited a couple of ADSL availability sites which let you know how far you are from the nearest exchange and what you your line is capable.

Anyway, I was pleased when the results showed I could get an up to 2mb service, so promptly signed up with Plusnet.

Everything was going well until recently when I received a "Level 4 Broadband Plus Usage" warning.

My connection dropped dramatically at about this time, which although I was a bit pished off, I now understand why after reading the TOCs.

Anyway, I've just been to the same ADSL availability sites, and they both say my line is only capable of 512kbps. An up 1mb service is possible (Amber), but the 2mb service is totally unavailable (Red).

I take it this is not a Plusnet issue, but more to do with BT, but is there anything I can do to get the 2mb speeds again?

I seem to remember someone saying that you can't contact BT ADSL directly, but you have to raise a 'Ticket' with Plusnet, who in turn contact the line provider.

Is this correct?

If not what would be the best course of action?

Many thanks.
--
Regards
Ripperoo
Community Veteran

None of the traffic management will affect your sync speed, it just limits how much data you can transfer to give an effective slowing down of your transfer. Level 4 is very strict in what speed it allows through.

What speed were you syncing at and Is your router/model actually syncing at 512Kbs (588Kbs down, 288Kbs down) now.

The BT database is often wrong in determining the speed your line will take as it depends on yoir line condition.

What are your SNR and line attenuation figures. These will determin what speed your line supports.
N/A

I have exactly the same problem. Lots of lag on games as well.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I know its the old chestnut but if you are seeing low speeds on the PlusNet tester try using the BT Speed Test as this bypasses PlusNet completely
N/A

BTSpeedtester gave 759kbps.
N/A

I know its the old chestnut but if you are seeing low speeds on the PlusNet tester try using the BT Speed Test as this bypasses PlusNet completely

ADSL Guide: 297kbps
BT: 487kbps

The BT test however was carried out through my Plusnet connectio, so I guess it won't be accurate.

Couldn't get my rpouter to accept the BT speedtest login details for some reason. Sad

Ta!
N/A

Hi Guys,

Heres what I get this morning :

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
22-02-2006 06:57:18 1857.7
22-02-2006 06:56:49 1843.8
22-02-2006 06:56:12 1089.7

21-02-2006 20:56:41 412.8
21-02-2006 19:22:00 553.9
21-02-2006 19:19:48 525.2
21-02-2006 19:14:59 553.3
19-02-2006 19:03:56 1355.7
19-02-2006 19:03:32 1155.5

I think its interesting that I'm back up to 2mb or so during off peak hours. I wonder if my exchange has a capacity problem ?
Community Veteran

realmccoy, definatly sounds like a contention issue at your exchange, have you checked it with the exchange checker?

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Also can you start your own topic please as its a nightmare to help 2 people in one topic and a nightmare for the mods to mod!

Cheers!
N/A

Sure thing, I'll check later when I get home. The exchange checker says all is well but the last data was made available on the 6th of Feb. I think its just a case of wait and see.