cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mbps line but can't get better than 1.3Mbps

N/A

Any clues as to why my new 2Mbps line is under-performing? I've run speed tests at all hours and the best I see is around 1.3Mbps - with only the (Netgear DG824M) modem/router attached to the line. I have upgraded to the latest firmware (Version 1.4 Release 05) and power cycled both the Netgear box and the computer several times but nothing helps.

I'm testing on an ethernet-wired PowerMac running MacOs 9.1 but the other machines on our LAN - a wireless Mac G4 Powerbook with Apple Airport card running Os 10.2.6 and a wireless desktop PC with Netgear MA311802.11b PCI card running Windows XP - are all getting similar speeds to me. I've tried moving the Netgear box around and I have set multiplexing to VC as recommended here (but I actually get slightly better performance when it is set to LLC).

It would be nice to unleash the full power of my line if anyone can help. TIA.
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You have not said where you are running the tests from?
This may have a bearing on the results.
N/A

Sorry - tests are on PlusNet's bandwidth speed tool.

Simon
Community Veteran

I have often found the results on PlusNets speed tester to be very variable.
Try the one on the ADSL guide site here
and see what results you get.
N/A

As john says, different speedtests use different methods, and they vary in reliability. A full explanation is available in this article from the Tutorials and FAQs forum.

Moderators note (John) Code tag corrected for you
N/A

Heh, somewhere on the PlusNet website it says that the only reliable speed test is from the PlusNet tool... Anyways, ADSL Guide's meter didn't come up with much more - around 1.4-1.5Mbps - see http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=520cd0a0f7bad6d93252709e5b.

Simon
N/A

it depends the 2mb line might be shared over a 50 to 1 ratio or a 20 to 1 ratio that might be the problem or plus net is geting worse whcih i doubt it is
N/A

The best way to determine your true connection speed is to download a large file from a reliable site, such as mirror.ac.uk. Their servers are very fast, which allows you to reach your maximum download speed. See what kind of speeds you get from that.
N/A

Oop, that test didn't save for some reason. Maybe this one has - http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=95146b1df7badeaf5e94007d9f
N/A

as we are taking of connection speeds i hear u can get a 10mb line sumert stupidly high in sweden and only pay sumert like 20 30 pound a month 4 it is that true
Community Veteran

Mmm Upload speed looks pretty grim too on that last test.
I think that something is not too rosy here Sad
N/A

The best way to determine your true connection speed is to download a large file from a reliable site, such as mirror.ac.uk. Their servers are very fast, which allows you to reach your maximum download speed. See what kind of speeds you get from that.

I tried a few downloads from there and they were slow. Different files of approx 8MB took 4 minutes to download. The initial speed as reported in IE's download manager was reasonably fast but it soon slowed and then settled into a steady 32kb/sec, according to IE.
N/A

Mmm Upload speed looks pretty grim too on that last test.
I think that something is not too rosy here Sad

Care to suggest what could be wrong, John? My "2Mbps" downloads start off at a fair speed but very quickly settles down at a steady and sad 32kb/sec. I also have noticed a couple of times today that while my own ethernet-wired connection seemed totally dead, a wireless machine on the LAN was still connected. My own connection could only be revived by power cycling the Netgear box. Seems a bit wierd. But this is an old PowerMac 7500 with only 10base ethernet on board in case that makes a difference, although the operating system (MacOs 9.1) is fairly new. I could go wireless from this machine but there doesn't seem much point since I have to spend so much time in the Netgear gateway reconfiguring, rebooting etc.
N/A

Do you know anyone else with some connection equipment you could try?
N/A

Do you know anyone else with some connection equipment you could try?

Not within a hundred miles. I have a redundant Apple Airport Base Station but it won't work without an ADSL modem - unless there's a way to link up the Netgear box to it so that it functions solely as a modem, leaving the Airport station to do the routing. My boy, meanwhile, on his Windows XP wireless machine with Netgear PCI card has had wildly fluctuating performance this evening with some downloads coming in at only 10kb/sec and others at a reported 350kb/sec peak (!) but starting and finishing at 100kb/sec although this is not exactly spectacular either.

I do have a friend with a siilar setup and hardware who uses Zen and he is very happy with his near-optimal and very constant speeds from Sheffield. I will phone him later and compare all our settings but I'm fairly sure that my settings are ok. I have also tried most of the 13 wi-fi channels available with no significant difference in speed between them.