cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mbit upgrade and upload speed question.

N/A

2Mbit upgrade and upload speed question.

Hi, I was just looking at your new packages and I definatly want the 2Mb service, though I still have a few months left of my 1 year contract for the 512k line with you, would this be an issue?

Secondly I was wondering what the upgrade procedure would be, would I be offline for any lengh of time etc.

Last of all I have seen another ADSL isp offering upload speeds of 400kbps with higher bandwidth lines (1mbbit - 4mbit). Is there any plans for something like this with your service?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 2Mbit upgrade and upload speed question.

Hi,

> Hi, I was just looking at your new packages and I definatly want the 2Mb service, though I still have a few months left of my 1 year contract for the 512k line with you, would this be an issue?

You can upgrade anytime. Minimum contracts only apply ot downgrades or cancellations!

> Secondly I was wondering what the upgrade procedure would be, would I be offline for any lengh of time etc.

I can confirm that, until BT introduce migration paths, changes to or between these new products will require a full cease and re-provide. This will mean 7 - 14 days downtime and a new activation fee. I should also point out that, if we do a cease on your current service and then it turns out your line can't support the higher speed ADSL, you will need to pay again to have the orignal product turned back on.

Obviously we understand the implications of this and are doing our best to work with BT to find a more viable solution. At the moment though it is looking like August before any suitable improvements can be made to BTs regrade / migration procedures.

The only glimmer of hope is that we have some good guidelines and a system (Called Whoosh) which BT assure us will allow us to ascertain the chances of the upgrade being possible before the order is placed. Once the upgrade process is in place we will automatically Whoosh test every customer before submitting the order and will make sure that anyone who is borderline is informed and given a choice before we make the order.

We can do the whoosh test on request, if you raise a ticket on your account. You will need to have a line loss of less than 45dB in order to be able to receive the 1MB or 2MB service.

> Last of all I have seen another ADSL isp offering upload speeds of 400kbps with higher bandwidth lines (1mbbit - 4mbit). Is there any plans for something like this with your service?

We are currently only able to offer the speeds supported by the BT Wholesale product IPStream. This is limited to 256K Upload on all products. The alternative would be to go down the Datastream route like Nildram and Internet Central. Datastream uses a third party provider (Normally a large Telco) to 'groom' DSL traffic at the exchange level onto their own networks. This allows for much more flexibility over product offerings. However, coupled with last weeks IPStream annoucement and some serious technical problems with the Datastream system it is likely that Datastream, at least in it's current incarnation, will not prove to be a viable solution for providers.

I hope that answers everything clearly!

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I may be looking at waiting untill the upgrade path as been sorted to go 2Mbit then, though if I find I may be offline for a while I will consider the current upgrade meathod, though the thought of paying a 2nd activation fee for what I consider to be the exact same line to be off putting, lets hope BT realises this soon Cheesy

Thanks again
N/A

Can a Whoosh test be carried out to dertermine if the adsl 2mb can be recieved on your line if for examble adsl 512k is enabled already ??

Thanks.
N/A

Can a Whoosh test be carried out to dertermine if the adsl 2mb can be recieved on your line if for example, adsl 512k is enabled already ??

Thanks.
N/A

> Can a Whoosh test be carried out to dertermine if the adsl 2mb can be recieved on your line if for example, adsl 512k is enabled already ??
>
> Thanks.

Yes you can mate, I had one done the other day....sadly I couldn't get the higher speeds.