cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mb upgrade

N/A

2Mb upgrade

According to the PDF file that was released a few months ago my exchange (Woolston, Southampton) was due to be upgraded either in May or July. I'm still at 512K though and there's nothing in my account settings to be able to upgrade unless I pay to upgrade to 1Mb. So are BT behind schedule and I should just wait until Plus contact me to say 2Mb is available on my line? Is there any way I can get more info eg when my exchange might really get upgraded?
36 REPLIES
N/A

2Mb upgrade

You can just put your phone number in here:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Use your phone number, not the postcode if you want to know which exchange your line is on. And I think the date you mentioned is when work commences, not when it should be finished by. Mine is the same, commenced on July. I phoned up before and was told it should be done by the end of August. So if it takes more than 2 months after the start date, give them a call.
N/A

2Mb upgrade

Hi and welcome to the forums to both of you.

The dates given in the pdf are for guidance only. BT are currently running behind schedule in the upgrade process. Some people who were due in April are still waiting.

Unfortunately its a case of being patient and hoping BT get it sorted.
Community Veteran

2Mb upgrade

Which is a big hope ;-)
glynh
Dabbler

2Mb upgrade

I hope I give you hope...

My exchange originally had two DSLAMS and the one I was on was down for the upgrade in April. However, come June they installed a second DSLAM which was down for upgrade in July - guess which one my connection passed through, yip, the one to be upgraded in July.

Well on Wednesday I asked Plusnet to do a Whoosh test (which they were disinclined to do) so I could see about paying for my upgrade. Anyway on Friday (29th July), got home, turned computer on and wehey, the modem sync'd at 2.2Mb, with a speed test of 1792Kbps. WHOO! they did it.

I had given up hope of it being July and was expecting an update to the exchange checker to say the upgrade had been pushed back. But it just shows that they are still at it, and in my case they managed it by the end of the stated month. So there is hope for those of you still waiting - it will come eventually.

Only downside is I keep getting dropped connections, so I have to do some messing around moving the PC to the master socket etc before I raise a ticket for Plusnet to investigate. I feel I may have to drop back to 1Mb Sad
N/A

2Mb upgrade

You can just put your phone number in here:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Thanks, that's a really handy page. It says I'm on the first DSLAM which was supposed to start getting upgraded in May.

How do I find out if and when the upgrade is complete?
Community Veteran

2Mb upgrade

PN will e-mail you when (if) they get confirmation from BT. Otherwise keep checking your sync speed.
N/A

2Mb upgrade

PN will e-mail you when (if) they get confirmation from BT. Otherwise keep checking your sync speed.

How do I check my sync speed? My router log doesn't say anything about that - it's one of thoes cheap Origo ones from eBuyer. I've still got the Binatone USB modem that came free when I joined Plus though, can I check with that?
N/A

Re: 2Mb upgrade

According to the PDF file that was released a few months ago my exchange (Woolston, Southampton) was due to be upgraded either in May or July. I'm still at 512K though and there's nothing in my account settings to be able to upgrade unless I pay to upgrade to 1Mb. So are BT behind schedule and I should just wait until Plus contact me to say 2Mb is available on my line? Is there any way I can get more info eg when my exchange might really get upgraded?

I too am on the Woolston exchange.

I *paid* Sad to upgrade to a 2Mb line back in January. Since I upgraded, I have been PLAGUED with dismal performance. Very rarely I get 1.5Mb+ speeds generally I have circa 500Kb speeds and OFTEN I have sub 400Kb speeds.

So be careful what you wish for.

I've had BT out twice so far trying to diagnose the problem. They keep coming to my house but I believe that the problem lies in the exchange.

You might want to take a look at some of the threads at ADSLGuide (see some posts by KITZ).

(Note this is not a PN problem, rather it is a BTw problem :rollSmiley

Hope you get sorted out soon (and I really hope that I get sorted out soon!)

Regards
Guy
hitachi
Grafter

2Mb upgrade

Depends which origo but you could try entering http://10.0.0.2/doc/adsl.htm into your browser and see if the data rate appears.
Community Veteran

2Mb upgrade

Yes you can check with the binatone go to 192.168.1.2 and click overall status.
N/A

2Mb upgrade

Depends which origo but you could try entering http://10.0.0.2/doc/adsl.htm into your browser and see if the data rate appears.

That works. It's showing as 576. So once my exchange gets upgraded will that show as >2000 even though the connection is ISP-limited to 512? And is there anything to be concerned about that it's showing as 576 eg should it be showing more like 1000 if that's what the exchange is currently capable of?
N/A

2Mb upgrade

Hi,

Your exchange is capable of 2mb but your line is only enabled at 512 so that is what your modem / router will synch at. You wont see the higher connection speed reported until you are upgraded.
N/A

2Mb upgrade

Hi,

Your exchange is capable of 2mb but your line is only enabled at 512 so that is what your modem / router will synch at. You wont see the higher connection speed reported until you are upgraded.

Do you mean not all the lines are upgraded at once and I have to wait until BT get round to upgrading mine, or do I have to ask Plus for an upgrade? I thought they were supposed to let me know when the upgrade is available then I'd be able to choose my speed in the account settings wb pages.
Community Veteran

2Mb upgrade

I think they stopped development on that tool for the time being. You need to wait for BT to get round to doing you DSLAM at which point your speeds should increase/