cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Mb for free

N/A

2Mb for free

I am on Home Worker pro 1meg account which has recently benefitted from the 'free' upgrade to 2meg. Done a few speed tests on it and the actual speed is somewhere in between 1 and 2 - is this an issue with my local BT exchange?
4 REPLIES
N/A

Broadband Speeds

I upgraded to the "up to 2mb account" from the 512 broadband. My local BT exchange provides the 2MB facility however the max I can get at the moment is 1MB.

The reason -

I live just over 3 miles from the local exchange so according to some ADSL tests on the web I'm lucky I can get 1MB speeds at all.

Just wish BT would speed up and upgrade the complete network.[/url]
Community Veteran

2Mb for free

Upgrading the network is not going to help you. It is your copper phone wire that is the limiting factor and that is unlikely to be changed anytime soon. There is technology under development that may be able to 'move' the exchange closer to you but that is many years away yet.

initss,

What speeds do you get with the BT speedtester? If it's higher, it's not your exchange or BT causing the problem and is more likely PlusNets shaping or the general unreliability of speed testers. Have you run both the PlusNet and ADSLguide speed tests?

Also have you contacted support to make sure the 1Mbs speed limit has been removed from your account?
N/A

2Mb for free

Peter thanks for your reply - yes I have run both plus.net and adslguide speed tests and the outcome is consistently between 1500 and 1900 Kbps.

BT is showing 1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps) - so I guess everything is running as expected.

Do BT have timescales for digital exchange upgrades to handle 4/8Mb? I hear NTL are aiming for 10Mbps next year at basic entry level.
Community Veteran

2Mb for free

April 2006 is the latest BT estimated full rollout for the faster speeds. Many will get it during the open trials due to start Q1 2006 through.