cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2MB and only download @ 51k?

N/A

Hello Every One

I am switching over to Plus.net when my Migration is sorted.
I started with a line problem that stems from a few weeks ago.
My internet for some reason went down.
I called BtYahoo who after about 1/2 hour of trying to sort things out said it was a line fault?
However there were no problems with the phone side of things.
Just the internet.
So they put a request in to an engineer to have a look.
I kept checking the on-line status that next day, and it said there was no problem with the line.
That night I called BT Yahoo again and a very helpful young lady got me up and running again after altering a few setting on my P.C, and told me it was my IP address was stuck or something?
However it did not seems as quick?
So I decided to format my P.C to see if that was the problem.
Everything looked ok when I reinstalled everything.

Until the other day when my wife said it seems really slow when downloading anything?
So I did a speed test with a little help from Google, and it’s saying my download speed is 50kps.
I have done this test before and with having a 2 Meg line it’s always been 2000kps
I called up BT straight away and they tried a few things with out no luck.
After doing loads of tests on the line again.
Then I said I don't know if it makes any difference, but I am in the middle of changing ISP's.
He said straight away that’s the problem?
He said we always get this when someone is swapping over
So I have left it at that.
The strange thing is my router is saying the download is coming in at 2000.
First of all is BT just fobbing me off as usual?
If they are telling the truth why should my downloads speeds drop, I am still paying them for a service?
Secondly. If that’s not the case, Can someone please give me a bit of advice?

Thanks for reading my Post
Looking forward to being on Plus.Net Looks great.

I have now switched to Plus.Net (07/05/05) who i might add were very helpfull...
Who are looking into this, but its bugging me like crazy why this is happening.
However i am still only getting 50k download speed.
My router is saying 2204 data connection?
I have done speed test which are below

Please read after the speeds test for more info
Thanks

SPEED TEST 1 @ 20:33 FRIDAY 06/05/05

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 01226361831 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
479 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 217.47.124.254, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.
BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:
For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.
You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.
Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

SPEED TEST2 @ 21:00

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 01226361831 and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of
480 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.
Your IP address is 217.47.124.254, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running on Windows XP.
You may now disconnect from the speed test account (click 'disconnect' in your internet connection window) and if you wish to regain normal access to the internet please re-connect to your ISP using your usual username and password.
Please note that test results may vary according to varying traffic in the network. If you continue to experience slower throughput when logged in to your ISP, this may be due to a slow internet site or high traffic levels beyond the BT Wholesale Network. Please report this situation to your ISP's helpdesk.

SPEED TEST3 @ 21:35

480 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Does anyone know what the problem is.
I have been building and configuring P.C for a long time now and i am stuck big time.
I have even formatted my P.C and tried a USB ADSL modem and still getting the same results.?
However i think its a problem at the Exchange.
However the BT Engineers are saying theres no problems at the Exchange?
Has any one else had the same problem, and if so what was wrong?
Any One can help, i would love a reply
I hope this can be resolved quick
Thanks for any advice..
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

The BT speedtests prove this IS a BT problem and not the ISP. The BT speedtest ONLY uses the BT network and goes no-where near PlusNet.

PlusNet need to keep raising a fault with BT until they fix it because there is nothing they can do as the problem is not in their network but BT's.
N/A

Thanks

Thanks for that petervaughan.
That is what i wanted to here?
We will just have to wait and see..
Just goes to show you how rubbish BT are when it come to the Technical side of things.
I have had a mare with BT.
Once again petervaughan
Thanks.
Community Veteran

But BT are not responsible for ADSL, BT Wholesale are and customers cannot talk to them direct, only through their ISP. If you ring BT up on 151 (faults), that is for voice faults, not ADSL and any tests they do will be for the voice side and not ADSL.

So who were you actually talking to at BT?