cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2MB Speed Connections

dedwyddfa
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Probably not what Plus.Net want to hear at the moment, but lots of people seem to be having problems with speed whether it is their fault, Plus Net or BT.

So lets have an overall figure on download speeds. If you have a 2MB connection. Then using Plus Net Speed Test, how fast is the connection reported back? Please do not include results between 00:00 and 07:00. We can then see the types of speeds that people are receiving during day/evening when alot of people and using the system. I also think that this will be a good starting point for people to say if they connection is not upto speed.

Many thanks in advance for everyones feedback.

Regards Ray
51 REPLIES
N/A

2MB Speed Connections

I've been with plusnet for nearly two months now, and for about 7 weeks of that period I have had a ticket open complaining about my speed.

When we finally got BT involved, there tests reported that my line was fine and that there indicative speeds were in the region of 1880+ Kbps, yet when I switch back to plusnet I'm back to < 500Kbps.

And to think I opted for plusnet because of their reputation for quality & support...
dedwyddfa
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

After a week of this poll running, it shall be very interesting to see what Plus Net have to say.
holdtight
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Ray you clearly have issues with your connection that need resolving what have you done in the way of working with +net and or BT ?
if anything is going to be done you will have to follow instructions given to you by +net to troubleshoot whatever your problem is
looking back at your previous posts its not clear whether you have completely eliminated your setup or internal wiring, have you had +net do a whoosh test for you to get your line stats or does your setup provide these ? if so paste them here for us to have a look at as its possible that your line just wont support a 2meg connection as not everyones will which would see poor speeds and drop outs

And cjmuk it wouldnt surprise me from what you have said that you may have internal wiring / splitter or something else your end causing this
if BT tested and came up with that speed yet it drops when you use your setup that would indicate a problem your side rather than anywhere else, gotta be worth a looksee just to rule it out completely

As for +nets quality / service / support i wouldnt still be here if i hadnt had just that for the few years ive been with them and i would still recommend them as one of the best isp`s around at the moment

see sig below for my speeds
dedwyddfa
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Hi HoldTight,

The whole problem with ADSL comes down to one of three things:

1) Your own hardware, or internal wiring.
2) Plus Net
3) BT

I have a ticket with Plus Net open at the moment with regards to this and will taking three different readings from the BT Test Site. I have currently wiped my PC and reinstalled Windows to make sure it wasnt my hardware. I have done a Plus Net speed test during the night @ 01:30 and had a speed of 1564 kbps - Tried a minute later and was 1200 kbps. This I am happy with. Even thou my router isn't on the master socket as that is in my garage, I can get these 2Mb speeds. I shall be doing the three tests tonight at different times and report back here and to Plus Net the problem. What is really annoying thou is that BT will accept anything from 400-2000 for a 2mb connection which is not acceptable. That is too much of a range and BT should pull their finger out and upgrade more exchanges to offer more bandwidth. I am on an exchange that was converted over less than one week ago, and I shouldn't think that there would be any contention problems on that exchange. However, during the day and evening I am getting speeds of 300 - 450 kbps which to me is not acceptable.

I thought that I would create this poll to see how many people are really getting a problem with speed on PlusNet.

Shall keep you informed.

Regards Ray
N/A

2MB Speed Connections

And cjmuk it wouldnt surprise me from what you have said that you may have internal wiring / splitter or something else your end causing this
if BT tested and came up with that speed yet it drops when you use your setup that would indicate a problem your side rather than anywhere else, gotta be worth a looksee just to rule it out completely

The BT Engineer completely replaced my Master socket just in case.. no difference.

And if the the BT Speedtest works at 1800+ on my home network, but the Plusnet speedtest works at <500 on my network then the one variable is the network provider. So Plusnet's problem it remains.

Edit: see http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?p=200687#200687 for the full story
holdtight
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Hi Ray
yes you clearly have a problem here that needs sorting out, as your exchange was only converted a week ago its possible BT still have ongoing issues with it that their sorting or in good old BT fashion they have stuffed something up
just out of interest have you checked the status of your exchange Here , enter your telephone number not postcode to get a clearer view

I could not agree with you more about the speed range in the BT speed test 400 to 2000 is just laughable and imho just a way for BT to cop out of any problems that may arise such as yours, that 400 needs upping to at least 900 at the lowest for a 2meg connection

hope you get it sorted soon
holdtight
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

cjmuk hadnt seen your previous posts will have a read through now
dedwyddfa
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Hi HoldTight,

Just looked at the link but as the exchnage has just been converted, I get the following information:

Results: Llangennech Code: SWLLG
County: Dyfed
Enabled: 29 Jun 2005

No capacity information is currently known about this exhchange. This could mean that the exchange has a "Ready for Service" date or that it has just recently been activated.
No capacity information is currently known about this exhchange. This could mean that the exchange has a "Ready for Service" date or that it has just recently been activated.
Upgrade information for this exchange, is yet to be published.

I keep my fingers crossed that this is corrected soon.

Regards Ray
N/A

2MB Speed Connections

Hi,

The whole problem with ADSL comes down to one of three things:

1) Your own hardware, or internal wiring.
2) Plus Net
3) BT

I would re arrange that list in order of likelyhood of an issue

1. Local hardware or internal wiring.
2. Line, Exchange or BT issues
3. Plus Net

There may appear, from this board and the ADSL board that there could be an increase in issues being experienced by end users.

The nature of most of the problems, certainly the ones i have read or responded to, do not appear to be Plus Net issues. The majority are either local issues or line or exchange related.

Ben has stated in other threads that plus Net are not aware of an increase in support tickets pertaining to disconnects, line drops or speed issues.

If customers are experiencing these issues then first stop should be http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/ and read the ADSL trouble shooting guide, wiring and filters guide and using BT's speed tester.

Having eliminated the chance of local issues then report the incident or problem to Plus Net via a ticket.

If any subsequent investigation is carried out by Bt and the fault is found to lay with an end users equipment, internal wiring or config then be aware that a £50+ fee will be charged by BT.

On occaisions it may seem like we have to jump through hoops to get a connection issue resolved but there are clear guidlines, laid down by BT, which must be followed before a fault can be raised.

If there is a general trend at the moment, then only by diagnosing and reporting these issues will any possible trend be noticed. i am confident that should this prove to be the case any issues will be collated by Plus Net and dealt with accordingly.

We, as customers need to work with them to get Bt to sort this out.

edit > The Plus net Speed Tester is not the most reliable means of judging your speed. The speedtester on Adsl Guide is a much better tool and of course the BT tester should be the most accurate.
holdtight
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Just looked at the link but as the exchnage has just been converted, I get the following information:

its not been updated on the database yet mate but keep checking it will be soon

I agree with your rearrangement of the fault list Mark much more likely
N/A

2MB Speed Connections

my speed does fluctuate, but is generally very good usual high download speeds of 200+KB/Sec

am on broadband plus
N/A

2MB Speed Connections

My speed never stays the same.
If I do a test straight after another it could be 200kbps or 1900kbps

I don't really understand why.
dedwyddfa
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

This isn't looking good at all tonight. BT Speed tests:

21:30 283 kilo bits per second
22:41 162 kilo bits per second

Shall post the midnight result later on.

Regards Ray :x
holdtight
Grafter

2MB Speed Connections

Hi Ray
youve definately got a problem there and as seen as they are below the laughable 400 limit make sure you send these results and any others you do that are around the same speed to +net when you update your open ticket as + will be able to get them to investigate

they will want test results from between midnight and 7am but if you are getting the same results that low BT will have to check your line out