cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

£21.99 a month for half meg broadband

kryten1st
Grafter

Have been paying plusnet £21.99 a month for over a year now for 1 meg broadband, was going to cancel untill they told me about the £47 activation fee but thats another story. Should have been getting 2 meg but no upgrade. My speed is now running at under half a meg and has been for days, reluctant to try and contact anyone at plusnet because its virtually impossible to speak to a real person (unless you ring the sales line). I did receive an email last week telling me I will shortly be upgraded to the 8mb speed, I know they say speeds will vary for ten days but I don't think they have even upgraded me yet. If anyone from plusnet actually reads this. do us a favour and check for me please. Would be very gratefull as am sick of friends who live in the same village as me and use the same exchange as me bragging about their 6.2mbs connections.
22 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

Do you know what your router/modem shows in the way of your line statistics at the moment? The fact that friends in the same area can get a good synch rate doesn't necessarily mean that you would but a reasonable estimate is often achievable given downstream attenuation,SNR and synch rate figures

Gerry
kryten1st
Grafter

My router tells me 1856 kbps download and 448 kbps upload. But my actual speed is less than half a meg. I know it doesn't matter how close to the exchange you are but it's still depressing when you live .4 of a mile from it. Come on Plusnet check it out for me.
shellsong
Grafter

Your upload rate tells me that you are on MaxDSL but to tell whether the downstream synch rate could go higher than the approximately 2Mbps that it is at present it would be useful to have your downstream Signal to Noise Ratio or Margin (SNR).

Download rates as given by speedtesters are notoriously poor for showing actual rates such as would be obtained from a good download site although speedtesters can help with diagnosis-- in particular the BT Speedtest can show up whether you are suffering from local contention issues.

Since many customers of ISPs using BT products have been upgraded to MaxDSL there seems to have been a large increase in contention problems and I suspect that, as far as PlusNet is concerned, lack of investment in extra bandwidth has not helped!

It could be useful also to check out your reported Stable Rate at http://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate

Gerry
vic_newey
Grafter

a synch of 1856 comes under the 1.5 meg speed , you have to synch at 2272kbps or more for 2 meg,
kryten1st
Grafter

My stable rate is 1000mbps and looking at my router statistics, connection speed downstream = 1504 bps, upstream = 448 kbps, line attenuation is downstream = 61.0 db upstream = 27.0 db and noise margin is downstream = 5.3 db upstream = 14.0db I think this is looking very poor. What can be done to change my line? but why am I only getting half meg broadband now when I have always had 1 meg for a year? just out of interest have checked my next door neighbours tele number they could have 6mb broadband and we live in a terrace when I check my number it tells me I can have 1mb broadband AGHAGAHAGAHAHAHGAHHHHHHAHAHAHahaaa a few weeks ago it was telling me I could have upto 4.5mb broadband. thanks for your advice by the way.
jennies
Grafter

I've got almost identical stats as you, been with PN over a year with stable 1meg now getting half a meg, had same email a couple of weeks ago to say upgrading me, getting seriously fed up now. PN say 'run BT speedtest' but it never works when I try it. Time to switch I think
shellsong
Grafter

From your attenuation it would seem that your line is about 4.3 Km long and I don't hold out much hope for your chances of getting much in the way of synch rate on a long line like that, but there's always hope! You could try looking at some of the things kittz says on her excellent site at http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm for starters

If your next door neighbour isn't actually in the same predicament as you it would suggest that for some reason their line must take a much shorter route to the exchange which, believe it or not, is quite possible with the way BT phone lines get routed and rerouted over the years!

If your neighbour had a similar downstream attenuation to yours I would imagine their broadband experience would be similar to yours, no matter what a phone number estimator said!
kryten1st
Grafter

Believe me the entire street can have faster broadband than me, my friend across the road and I mean just across the road, I can see his house sitting at my computer is getting 6meg+ and all the phone lines on the street go to the same pole, I don't think its the lengh of my line. To cut a long story short years back BT ruined my dial up connection by DAXING my line to give another person on my street a phone line, this means they took half my line for this purpose, but this does not effect normal telephone use but made the dial up connection useless. At the time my step son lived with us and had his own lined installed in his bedroom, when he left I checked his line and it was ok so told BT to shove my line where the sun don't shine :twisted: and took over the other. When looking at the telephone line to my house it appears to be just one but then goes into a little box on the wall two lines then come out of this box, one is my original one and the other is the one I took over. Pheww tried to keep it short. I think it may be either someting to do with the DAX or this little box on the wall anyway have reported a fault with BT that my line is noisy, fingers crossed Cheesy
shellsong
Grafter

Can't you "accidentally" hit the little box hard with something not traceable to you, at dead of night! :twisted:
kryten1st
Grafter

:twisted: Lets put it this way, I'm going to borrow a ladder :twisted: lol
kryten1st
Grafter

Today I took a look at the main BT box on the wall in the house and next to it is a smaller box. when I looked at how this was wired the orange and the white wire go into this smaller box then out the bottom then into the socket. Out of interest I wired it into the socket bypassing the small box (I know a little naughty but have several qualifications in electronics so not a novice) then checked the line and the phone, everything worked ok so the big one, connected the router got a connection no problem and here are the numbers.
CONNECTION SPEED DOWNSTREAM = 8096 UPSTREAM = 448
LINE ATTENUATION DOWNSTREAM = 29.0db UPSTREAM = 15.0db
NOISE MARGIN DOWNSTREAM = 6.4db UPSTREAM = 23.0 db I think you will agree some significant increases appart from the downstream noise margin just a small one there. Any comments would be appreciated.
shellsong
Grafter

Shows your problems are BT generated rather than caused by line length-- question is how can you get them to sort it legitimately without them cottoning on to your <cough> activities? Wink

(I still wonder whether a strategically dropped lumphammer by a clumsy "handyman" could be the way to go-- shattered boxes have to be replaced, particularly if they stop the phone working!)
kryten1st
Grafter

Cheesy I've yet to get up a ladder for a closer inspection of the small box on the wall outside, was going to look today but has been peeing it down all day. I think your right shellsong Im positive it's not my line length. I rang BT too to try and speak with an engineer but it was hopeless the girl asked me to tell her all about it, when I asked if she knew what SNR or DACS meant she laughed and said no sorry :roll: I can easily put the wiring back as it was so not worried there just don't want BT asking me for lots of money for an engineer to come out which I think they will do if the lump hammer dropped on it lol Cheesy . Will keep a look out for one they sometimes appear on the street for some reason. Hey maybe a BT engineer will read this and be able to shed some light on things. Still running at half meg Sad
shellsong
Grafter

You could perhaps try PMing pchambers-- he seems to be some BT employee or ex-employee who seems to know quite a bit about their internal workings

Gerry