cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200 disonections a day,,,,,and i am still on the network???

N/A

200 times a day it is disonecting me !!!! anyone else get disconected this many times,,,,,this is not right i dont think...i got a PCI modem,,,got a phone call saying it might be the power in my mother board ,,and my usb modem,,,,,but i was thinking no its not that,,,,as i have a [removed] internal pci modem,,,so its not the motherbaord,,,,and its been working for the last 2 years ,,,untill 3 months ago,,,,so definatly nothing this side.....its [removed] not my modem as its worked for the last 2 years,,,,,,the last 3 months is [removed],,,what has happened,,,...someone help me,,,not just blame it on my modem or motherbaord...as the work,,,,,and they work good

[moderator note (by acarr) : Removed bad language and markers used to circumvent the swear removed system]
14 REPLIES
N/A

What motherboard, processor, graphics card, and what wattage is your power supply.

Both USB and PCI modems have problems over power and CPU time.

High end graphics use is known for grawing power away from the PCI bus and processor time.
N/A

How do you know its deffinately nothing your end?

Maybe your modem got fried after 2 years or windows is screwed, that wouldnt exactly be a first. Afterall from your post it looks like your keyboard is broken and has the comma key stuck! Tongue
N/A

things ive tryied so far

windows 98
windows 98se
windows me
windows xp

tryied usb modem from my chum at work,,,,same problem but same make modem ,,just it is a usb version

my modem is a pci contexnt <not sure if i spelt that right,,,but it is dynalink modem with conexnt chipset,,<<same agaian not spelt right,,

motherboard is a jetway with VIA chipset,,,modem still disconects with every version of these via drivers,,,,also disconects with out via drivers installed,

2 gig athlon,,

this problem only started 4 months ago,,,,so 5 months ago everything was ok,,,i am useing the same stuff in my computer,,,tryied all operating systems and it still disconects,,,,

video card is a geforce3 AGP,,,,

i got my cpu very cool,,,,running 37oC
256 DDR memmory running coolish

sound balster audigy

running windows XP for the first time properly,,,,and i like it,,,i dont get no crashes,,,wow XP rocks in my boat lol

anyways ive tryied to explain all i can,,,,any help is still greatfully accented

many thanks again
N/A

I assume the Mobo is a Jetway 266b, if so, I had that Mobo and it worked fine with a USB modem and 350w PSU.

Check the SNR on the phone line, it is more likely that the wires have deteriorated, or your DSL filters have deteriorated. Somewhere in the setup screens of your modem, you should be able to view upstream and downstream values.
It can be common for line noise and signal attenuation to increase as the damp weather arrives.
N/A

okies cheif here goes ope you understand this one a bit more,,,,

my adsl control panal has a thing in it

Status--------------------------------------
---------------------up--------------down-
niose margin--21.0Db--------27.0Db
Attenuation------19.0Db--------38.8Db
bits per frame----223-------------2112

MAxuimum Tx PSD -38 Db/Hz
Starup up atempts 22
N/A

Chris - since you're looking for ideas as to why so many discons. Here's something else you can check.

From the BT main socket, trace your telephone line back until it goes to the "outside world". Is there a little white box anywhere (2 inches by 1.5 inches). Inside the box is an RF filter which contains a capacitor (according to the BT man) and this can age - so your problem gets worse with time.

I had this problem and my SNR margins have increased by a factor of 10 from 4 to 40. The (free)[/b] solution was to contact p'net and get them to organise a BT engineer to come round (well done p'net!!).

The problem had got so bad that I could hardly obtain synch. Now I'm always connected - just as it should be !!

regards
N/A

Sorry

just to clarify

SNR margin was 4 before the RF filter was repaired - now 40.

Loop att was 60 (dodgy according to BT engineer) - now 30

The RF filter was ripped out by the BT engineer - the white box had been installed when the house was built (13 years ago).
N/A

we got a new line and box a few years ago,,,,we got a new outside wire and a new inside wire and a box with the wires coming out and the normail bt main socket
N/A

Try replacing your filters - these can have an impact - It's a low cost fix.
N/A

Figures are within limits for 512k DSL.
It was the 60db loop attenuation that was a problem for monabri.
Filters can degrade with time but you will normally see a gradual deterioration.
If you are sure you have changed nothing in the PC, software, drivers and phone wiring that could be traced to your problem, chances are the loss of sync could be at the exchange end. This needs intervention by BT. However, if they come and test your line between the master socket and DSLAM at the exchange and find nothing wrong, you will end up with a bill of £50 or so.
N/A

yeah thats what i got told 50 quid if they dont find anything wrong,,,,but it seems to be ectactlly the same times during the day it disconects,,i am getting kinda pithed off with this,,,this only happen 4 months ago,,,,and it started to happen all of a sudden,,,,,,,i am thinking maybe i should revert back to the 512k service,,,,,but i want to keep the 2meg,,,but without the disconections i am haveing,,,,,,,
N/A

,,,,,,,i am thinking maybe i should revert back to the 512k service,,,,,,

I don't think you mentioned you were on a 2Mb service. How long have you been on the 2mb, as I am sure this wasn't around 2 years ago and is more like the 4 months you say you have had problems.
The 2Mb service over standard phone lines stresses everything and you need to be very close to the exchange, with no RF or EMI interference from nearby factories, power sub stations, overhead power cables etc.
I may be wrong, but I think the 38db downstream attenuation you are getting is on the limit for 2Mb.
N/A

ive had my 2 meg longer then i ve had the problems,,,when i forst got my 2 meg 6 months ago,,,,it was fast and cool,,,,,now its fast and disconecty....
N/A

thanks for all who have helped me on this post....

mnay thanks to

cqg4uzg
acarr
monabri
other bloke who helpped me to

cheers all