cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 red lights flashing on USB modem

N/A

2 red lights flashing on USB modem

hi all

My modem has just arrived today but I have 2 red lights flashing for the past 4 hours. according to the manual this means the modem is trying to synch, is there anyway of speeding this process up.

from carl
6 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 2 red lights flashing on USB modem

1. raise ticket with plunsnet if you already haven't done.
2. your telephone line MIGHT need to be synched via BT (no big deal - BT in my experience are very good/quick at this - phone them yourself on 0800 800 151 and ask them to synch the line).
3. are you using an extension cable ? if so this might be a problem. Suggest you move your PC to the main BT telephone point in the house and start from there. Plug the modem lead into the BT socket via the filter and see if you get an ADSL connection. Don't plug the phone in at first.
work logically adding more phones to the line to see if the ADSL connection drops out.

(Suggestions are from someone whose been there and bought the T shirt! )
N/A

> 1. raise ticket with plunsnet if you already haven't done.
> 2. your telephone line MIGHT need to be synched via BT (no big deal - BT in my experience are very good/quick at this - phone them yourself on 0800 800 151 and ask them to synch the line).
> 3. are you using an extension cable ? if so this might be a problem. Suggest you move your PC to the main BT telephone point in the house and start from there. Plug the modem lead into the BT socket via the filter and see if you get an ADSL connection. Don't plug the phone in at first.
> work logically adding more phones to the line to see if the ADSL connection drops out.
>
> (Suggestions are from someone whose been there and bought the T shirt! )

hi George

Thanks for that tip. I have tried moving my pc to the main socket and it does work, it connects almost immediatly, so it must be my extension cable now I need good quality modem cable or USB cable that extends for 12 metres any suggestions where I might get this from.

from Carl

N/A

Sounds like you;ve got the same probs as me! Have a T-shirt!
I use Belkin 30 feet cable about £13/£14 (ouch) but it is specially for hi speed data transfer for modems. I bought my cable from Staples although I've seen it elsewhere advertised in computer mags. Its black in colour and has gold plating connectors. Without this I'm back to 56k.

How's the download speed? Try "www.adslguide.org.uk" to do a speed test.

My download/upload was **originally** very poor (9KB down ie 9000 * 8 = 72000 k bits per sec) which is !! POOR !! A lot of people seem to be getting the full 512 k bits (64KB). I guess this depends on the contention in your area.

I got in touch with BT and asked them to tweak the gain.BT were very helpful and efficient despite postings that I've read elsewhere. I have posted this comment before and got comments that increasing gain will not increase speed. All I can say is that I now get 40 to 45 KBytes per sec with occasional higher bursts. (Yes I monitored over a period of time in days both before and after).

Hopefully you won't have to unplug the extension phones in the house like I do everytime I want to connect !!! this is my next prob to sort out.

good luck.
Steve

N/A

Sorry - re read the 12m requirement. My local Staples doesn't stock 12m only 9m. Perhaps there is a PC World or similar or maybe Staples can get 12m cables.

N/A

> Sorry - re read the 12m requirement. My local Staples doesn't stock 12m only 9m. Perhaps there is a PC World or similar or maybe Staples can get 12m cables.
>
>
>

hi all

Thanks for the replies they are very helpful to me, what I have decided to do is connect my filter to the main telephone socket then buy belkin telephone wire with a RJ11 connector at one end and the normal telephone connector at the other. Connecting the RJ11 to the filter and connecting the normal telephone connector to the other filter and then connecting to that filter another RJ11 connector and then plug the other end in my modem.

Would this kind of setup work do you think

from Carl
N/A

hi all

Just to let you all know i have sorted the problem out by buying a normal telephone cable from comet 20 metres in length and have RJ11 connectors at both ends. The connection is almost Immediate

thanks for all who helped me

from Carl