Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 pc's with same IP address=problem

loony
Grafter

hello,
I have an Origo 8400 modem router from Ebuyer.
I also have 2 desktop PC's TongueC1 (LAN 1) and PC2 (LAN2)
originally i had PC1 with win XP pro as my main system.
PC2 had windows 98 and was running without problem, until i bought a new
HDD and put Win XP pro on it as well.
So PC1 win XP pro works fine on Lan 1.but showed a warning sign saying
both PC's have the same IP address.
now PC2 win XP pro has started to be a pain.I can get on the net but the slightest problem and i cannot get IE6 to load any pages.I have to restart the system.
I think it must be the fact they are sharing the IP address.
How can i get PC2 to configure a new IP?
I don't really understand how it works but i have DHCP enabled in the router setup.
Should it not setup automatically?

TIA
JP
2 REPLIES
glyndev
Grafter

Re: 2 pc's with same IP address=problem

How can i get PC2 to configure a new IP?

Start => Settings => Network Connections => (select the active connection for your PC) => Properties => Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) => Properties.

I don't really understand how it works but i have DHCP enabled in the router setup.
Should it not setup automatically?

If you are using DHCP on your router then the "Obtain an IP address automatically" should be selected. If you are using a static IP address the "Use the following IP address" should be selected and the last block of numbers on the top line "IP address" need to be changed.

Also if you are using DHCP on your router the PC 1 should also "Obtain an IP address automatically"
N/A

If they both pc are set to dhcp they shouldnt get the same ip. If the do goto run then type cmd. In the dos window that apears type ipconfig /release wait for a reply then type ipconfig /renew this should fix the problem. Typing ipconfig /all will show the current ip.

If they are getting the same ip there is a problem with one of them connecting to the router. Post the results of ipconfig /all if it happens again