cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Modem's wont sync... but 1 will????

N/A

Until last week i was happily using a usb speedtouch 330 modem.
Last thursday this modem stopped being able to sync unless its left for about an hour but even once it syncs it cant be used to connect (as if the signal is too weak).

I have purchased a brand new netgear dg834, this also is unable to sync. It tries but never succeeds no matter how long its left on.

I also have an old dlink 300t, if i use this it does sync and im able to use the broadband but i get a very low connection (using plusnet speed test results in approx 120kb, thats not broadband speed).

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

My assumption is that the dsl signal is very weak and the older modem is more sensitive and able to pick it up where as the new modems cant.
Im really baffled as to what the problem could be, if anyone has any ideas id love to hear them.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Strange as the netgear is one I always recommend for bad lines (i.e. weak signals) as it has consistantly been better than any other router I have tried.

The netgear may be faulty - can you try it on another ADSL line to prove this?

As for the problem, try connecting to the test socket on your master socket. Its the one behind the lower removable panel on the master socket. This will eliminate any internal wiring as being the cause. Also try different ADSL filters/splitters in case that has gone faulty. Try without a filter by using an old 56K modem cable in place of the netgear/other router cable.

I can't remember if the dlink shows line stats. If so can you post them and it will also show what the sync rate is and hopefully how bad it is. Also state what you were previously syncing at.
N/A

Ive tried all of the things mentioned, except for using the master socket (will do that soon) thanks for the ideas.
I cant see the line stats and still have the same issues.

Got a 'great' response from the helpdesk tho that would seem they didn't take a work of what I said on board.

The response I got was that a connection was shown since I logged the call so they were closing the call as it had been resolved.

If its resolved why can I still not connect with 2 fully functioning modems?!?!?!? Any ideas greatly received.

Patience wearing thin now!
Community Veteran

To be fair, PN have no responsibility over sync issues with the exchange, as that is in BT's hands and the fact that you can connect with one router rules out anything PN can help you with.

From what you are describing, this appears to be a local issue to me, with either the ADSL equipment or local wiring or filters. Until you have eliminated those - which includes trying to test the ADSL routers on another working line - PN really can't help.