cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.7km from enabled exchange ... but no ADSL

N/A

2.7km from enabled exchange ... but no ADSL

I live just over 2.5km (as the crow flies) from the Welwyn Garden City exchange, yet my line length is just short of 8km, and so ADSL is out of the question.

My number (01707-39xxxx) is, I am told, connected to this exchange, and even knowing the problems of routing pairs I find it tough to work out just how the distance should be so great.

I'd dearly love ADSL, and so I wondered what can be done about this ... is it theoretically possible to get my line rerouted somehow to reduce the length? If so, who do I need to write to to have it investigated?

Or am I just stuck with it :-(
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 2.7km from enabled exchange ... but no ADSL

lo there,as far as im aware dsl distance is approx 18,000 cable feet,you say u r 2.5km from the exchange as the crow flies but unfortunately bt do not run there cables in direct lines,when you take into consideration the amount of times overhead lines zig zag across roads are routed around major obstacles and follow main roads 18,000 feet isnt a long way,it is unfortunate in ur case but if dsl isnt possible by bt line then im afraid you may look at cable suppliers,good luck

--
N/A

> I'd dearly love ADSL, and so I wondered what can be done about this ... is it theoretically possible to get my line rerouted somehow to reduce the length? If so, who do I need to write to to have it investigated?

A rerouted exchange line used to be an (expensive) option but has been discontinued.

Info from BT's price list at:
http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Exchange_Lines/00041.htm
N/A

As I said, even knowing how pairs are routed (I've been involved in this sort of communications stuff for 30 years or so), I'd find it very difficult to turn 2.7km into 7.9km.

There is, it's true, a railway between me and the exchange, but looking at the most likely cable routes, and being very pessimistic about the way it might run, the most I can get is 5.7km ... and the upper limit for ADSL is nominally 5.5km, so I should in theory have been in with a chance if the route was not as pessimistice ... and that a realistic route should be between 3.8km and 4.3km.

I do know that when my estate was built, there was insufficient cable capacity (there was plenty to the DP at the point at which cables enter the area, but insufficient back to the exchange), and that BT were seen to be running cables at about this time. But our street got the phones before these cables appeared to be completed, so there is a thought that they may have provided an interim long-way-round route, which ended up being permanent.

As for cable, that simply isn't an option ... although cable operates in the town, none of it comes this way (and there are no plans to do so).

What I really would like to do is talk to BT and see just what the problem is ... I just wondered who, officially, I should talk to.
N/A

Thanks ... although these rerouting options were, I thought, more about provision of additional cable capacity, rather than simply rerouting via existing routes.
N/A

(I've been involved in this sort of communications stuff for 30 years or so)....

Ain't that the truth!!!!!

You sound to me awfully like the Mike Todd who did so very much to promote home computing in the early years and taught us all so much and so well.

If so greetings and seasons compliments to you!

Bob. (formerly rhughesa@cix)
N/A

If you're talking about Commodore PET & C64 days, then yes, that's me <grin>
N/A

> If you're talking about Commodore PET & C64 days, then yes, that's me <grin>

Memories!
I had a 3008, which I upgraded to 3032 even though Commodore had drilled holes in the PCB to prevent this. I still have it, along with most others, such as ZX80, Spectrum's, ton's of Practical Computing and Computer Weeklys, Microcomputer Printout from the late 70's and early 80's, hmmm, showing my age now! I used to write games for Mr. Micro, remember them?