cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1meg line failure. Huh?

N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

I ordered a 1meg upgrade to my 512 connection thru plusnet, but got the response that the line had failed!

I'm only a kik in the butt from the exchange, but still it has failed.

Could it be the exchange that is a fault?

Here's my routers readings.

Local Tx Power: 11.95 dB
Remote Tx Power: 15.87 dB
Local Line Atten.: 20.5 dB
Remote Line Atten.: 15.0 dB
Local SNR Margin: 39.0 dB
Remote SNR Margin: 26.0 dB
Self Test: Passed
DSL Standard: G.dmt
Trellis Coding: Enable
Framing Structure: Framing-3

Do these seem a good set of results?

I've heard that if your line attenuation is above 45dB then u cant get 1 or 2 meg services. But as u can see, the noise levels are excellent.

At the time I asked for the upgrade (Feb), it was very cold and wet - Ive also heard that moisture can cause noise (In feb Local line attenuation was 28.5dB). :?:

My 512k line is lovely, no errors, no disconnections, no lost packets, get 485.3 on plusnets speed test!

Can anyone help?

Is it possible for BT to do another line check?

Cheers.

PS. Plusnet are fantastic, had a SAR-110, which 10 days before the warranty expired when south! Opened a ticket, sent router back on Wednesday 9th June, received a replacement SAR-130 on Friday. Hows that for GOOD service!!!! Thx +net!!!! Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1meg line failure. Huh?

I would be interested to know what the figures from a woosh test are - rasie a ticket and ask PN for this to be done. If that is within the levels for 2Meg I would ask PN to query BT why he line had failed it's test as your figures are well within the limits.
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

The strange thing is. I used to have ISDN installed, then obviously removed for ADSL. The line passes the 1meg test on my old DACS phone number(b4 ISDN installed)!!!!!!!

Thanks very much for the response. Will get onto it right away.
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

It may have been rejected purely on indicated line length and not any actual tests.
In other words, your post code indicates to BT that you are outside the reach of 1Mb despite your figures being good.
It needs a manual application.
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

The line length is not an issue, Im apparently about 2.2km from the exchange.
Also done a check on the neighbours post code and phone number and BT reports that they can receive upto a 2mb connection. Even tried the post code and it passed!!!

I think this is the results of the whoosh test. Dont know wot one is or the results look like so copied the complete ticket reply.

Dear Customer,
I have copied the results of the whoosh test which show DB readings which would be okay for a 1mb line. However, this is not the only test and data that BT go on once they receive an order.
Regards,
Martin Cundell

internal-
ADSL Status Check
OK
Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 14 dB
Cell Count 150571892
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 20 dB
Cell Count 74415225

Just sounds like BT couldnt be bothered if u ask me.

But hell, it's not as though BT rip ppl off now, is it!!! :? Cheesy
Community Veteran

1meg line failure. Huh?

A 1M/2M line must have a SNR below 45dB so you are well within the required noise and line quality levels. In fact a woosh test often adds 4dB to the figures so they are well under the requrements.

Ask PN to place a manual order with BT, and if it fails for them to try and establish why (BT don't always give out the reasons, its often just an accept or reject).
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

Hey, sorry to go off topic but what kind router do you have which gives feedback on line quality etc? My router doesn't have those kind of line feedback options Sad

Further to this, is there any software which can be used to give this kind of information?
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

The routers I've used are a SAR-110, SAR-130 and a Origo ASR-8000. All have the Line level information in the routers web interface.

All read roughly the same, give or take half a dB..

As for the software. Don't know. Never needed it.

The Origo is an excellent cheap router from ebuyer at £22. It does everything that the SAR-110 does - but is limited in the security settings and port forwarding. Other than that solid little router!
Community Veteran

1meg line failure. Huh?

Only the router can give line condition details as it is the only one physically connected to the line. So there is no software that can tell you the same info.
madswitcher
Grafter

1meg line failure. Huh?

The details show a loop loss of 20 dB, which, IIRC, is well below the maximum of 41dB for a 1m/2m bps line.

Sound like someone should chase it for you.

Mike
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

Well, Ive just ticketed +net with regards to BT doing a check, but they say it can only be done as part of a 1meg upgrade.

As I ordered the 1meg line in March when their upgrade was at half price (£29.99). Ive asked if I can get upgrade for this price.

Doesnt seem too unresonable, does it? Since I've only found out all this stuff about noise and woosh tests in the last couple of weeks.

I can but try.

Even +net engineers agree theres a rabbit away with regards to BT!!!
Community Veteran

1meg line failure. Huh?

I would wait a week or too if you can as the regrade price may be reducing. BT now charge £12.93 for a regrade instead of £41.13 and PlusNet have hinted they may be passing on that reduction to customers shortly.
N/A

1meg line failure. Huh?

Excellent! Thanks for the hot tip.

Will just wait. I think