cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mbit upgrade

N/A

1mbit upgrade

I've just ordered an upgrade to 1mbit ADSL a few days ago, and it's apparently due on Thursday (5th).

Does this mean that on Thursday, I'll find out if I can actually get a 1mbit connection - if I can't my money will be refunded, and if I can my account will be upgraded on Thursday?
7 REPLIES
N/A

1mbit upgrade

On or before Thursday (normaly happens on the day) you line will be changed over, or PlusNet informed the upgrade can't take place.

The refund of the upgrade charges should be refunded if it fails, or payment taken for the remainder of this months billing period.
N/A

1mbit upgrade

Cool, thanks.

Fingers crossed! :p
N/A

1mbit upgrade

Unfortunately I've just got a message back that there's too much noise on my line, so I can't upgrade.

Does anyone know if BT have any plans to upgrade anything in the future so that people like myself will be able to have a 1meg connection?
N/A

1mbit upgrade

Very possible.

BT will be increasing the limit in September for 1Mb.
N/A

1mbit upgrade

Excellent! Watch this space I guess...

With their being so much noise on my line though (I've just asked Plus to give me the exact amount) will that not mean I won't get a particularly good 1meg speed though?
N/A

1mbit upgrade

Provided you get a stable sync, there should be no speed loss.

PlusNet will be able to give you you attuation figures, which should be below 45dB at the moment, or below 60dB once the limits have changed.

However, even lines below these figures may not be suitable. You can get good attuation values, but SNR (signal to noise ratio) value that are too low.
N/A

1mbit upgrade

WOOSH:

ADSL Status Check
OK
Circuit Information
Circuit In Sync
Upstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 27.5 dB
Cell Count 0
Downstream ADSL Link Info
Loop Loss 49 dB
Cell Count 0

49dB - Just above 45!! Damn...

Well, good news is that if BT up their limits at all then I should be ok.

As the difference is just 4dB (can it actually be ON 45dB or does it have to be under?), can this level vary from day to day? And, is there anything I can do (better quality cables/disconnect telephone etc.) to help get down to 45dB or under and do another test?

What are the limits for 2meg?

Cheers!