cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mbit/2mbit ADSL

N/A

1mbit/2mbit ADSL

Alot of companys are now starting to sell 1mbit/2mbit lines now for around £40 when are plusnet going to have this option?
14 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

Hi Chris,

We do have plans to introduce higher speed broadband services, however we cannot yet provide an ETA. I would add that it is worth waiting on this new technology as the 50:1 contention and techncial implementation may still leave something to be desired by consumers.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> Hi Chris,
>
> We do have plans to introduce higher speed broadband services, however we cannot yet provide an ETA. I would add that it is worth waiting on this new technology as the 50:1 contention and techncial implementation may still leave something to be desired by consumers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

There maybe light at the end of the tunnel take a look here http://www.net4nowt.com/isp_news/news_article.asp?News_ID=420

and you'll be getting 2mb upload and download theres no price for this as of yet, but because it's not using the BT phone network, the price shouldnt be that high (we hope).

N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> Hi Chris,
>
> We do have plans to introduce higher speed broadband services, however we cannot yet provide an ETA. I would add that it is worth waiting on this new technology as the 50:1 contention and techncial implementation may still leave something to be desired by consumers.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support


I do understand your need to test new technology before committing to it, But you also have to understand the need of power users who require the very latest in speed and bandwidth and reguardless of what technical limitations you may say the technology has people ARE going to want it.

I myself have been with plusnet a while now and am quite happy with the service however i and many users like me are going to wait maybe a couple of months at the most to see what the initial reports of peoples new 1 meg and 2 meg connections are like on this new technology and if the reports are not all fire and brimstone as you seem to be suggesting then i WILL be changing to an isp that supports these new services.

I would rather not do this because as i said i am quite happy with my plusnet connection but unless you want to start losing a great number of users including me then you are going to have to offer a similar service in the next couple of months if you dont want to get left behind technical limitations or not.

Just my 2 cents.
Mark
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> > Hi Chris,
> >
> > We do have plans to introduce higher speed broadband services, however we cannot yet provide an ETA. I would add that it is worth waiting on this new technology as the 50:1 contention and techncial implementation may still leave something to be desired by consumers.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ian Wild
> > PlusNet Customer Support
>
>
> I do understand your need to test new technology before committing to it, But you also have to understand the need of power users who require the very latest in speed and bandwidth and reguardless of what technical limitations you may say the technology has people ARE going to want it.
>
> I myself have been with plusnet a while now and am quite happy with the service however i and many users like me are going to wait maybe a couple of months at the most to see what the initial reports of peoples new 1 meg and 2 meg connections are like on this new technology and if the reports are not all fire and brimstone as you seem to be suggesting then i WILL be changing to an isp that supports these new services.
>
> I would rather not do this because as i said i am quite happy with my plusnet connection but unless you want to start losing a great number of users including me then you are going to have to offer a similar service in the next couple of months if you dont want to get left behind technical limitations or not.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
> Mark

Im not going to post where I found these prices but I found it for 2/Mbit lines cheapest if £46 Inc Vat Highest priced was £59 Inc Vat Hopefully plusnet will be able to match or beat these prices Smiley
rz2k7
Grafter
Posts: 54
Registered: 14-09-2007

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

There is a company called Bulldog that are now doing a range of residential services. They do a 512mb, 1mb, 2mb and even a 4mb line! A 2mb line costs only £39.99 per month and a 1mb £29.99 per month. These are available now.

I know Plusnet buy their packages from BT, so they can only offer what BT has got. But from what Bulldog are offering, BT and Plusnet will have to pull their finger out and start offering at least and 1mb line at roughly the same price or they will lose a lot of customers.

N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

2rite
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> There is a company called Bulldog that are now doing a range of residential services. They do a 512mb, 1mb, 2mb and even a 4mb line! A 2mb line costs only £39.99 per month and a 1mb £29.99 per month. These are available now.
>
> I know Plusnet buy their packages from BT, so they can only offer what BT has got. But from what Bulldog are offering, BT and Plusnet will have to pull their finger out and start offering at least and 1mb line at roughly the same price or they will lose a lot of customers.
>
>about this bulldog isp, u got it wrong. those 1, 2 and 4mb service, u only get 512k service on peak time, off peak time u'll get 1,2 or 4mb service whichever u signed up. in fact, i cant remember which new isp offer £39.99 for 2mb service all the time which is VERY good deal, i've found out that my local exchange does support for this 2mb service, i was very disappointed that plusnet didnt speedy up to roll out the 1 or 2mb service
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> about this bulldog isp, u got it wrong. those 1, 2 >and 4mb service, u only get 512k service on peak >time, off peak time u'll get 1,2 or 4mb service >whichever u signed up. in fact, i cant remember >which new isp offer £39.99 for 2mb service all the >time which is VERY good deal, i've found out that >my local exchange does support for this 2mb >service, i was very disappointed that plusnet didnt >speedy up to roll out the 1 or 2mb service
>

The £39.99 + vat deal is from the first company to offer the higher bandwidth options nationwide:

Internet-Central http://www.internet-central.net/broadband/no-frills.htm

Do remember though that only 75% of all currently enabled adsl exchanges are covered due to the distance limitations of the higher speed services, Although you may already have 512k adsl the higher speed services may not be available to you.
rz2k7
Grafter
Posts: 54
Registered: 14-09-2007

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> The £39.99 + vat deal is from the first company to offer the higher bandwidth options nationwide:
> Internet-Central http://www.internet-central.net/broadband/no-frills.htm

Internet Central charge £39.99+vat for a 2mb line whereas Bulldog charge £39.99 INC VAT for a 2mb

> > about this bulldog isp, u got it wrong. those 1, 2 >and 4mb service, u only get 512k service on peak >time, off peak time u'll get 1,2 or 4mb service >whichever u signed up.

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention that, but it's still a very good deal because a lot of people work during the day so it's not really that bad. Off peak is from 6pm to 8am. And don't forget with the 1mb line and upwards you get 400k upload instead of 256k (ie:Internet Central 256k upload on all packages)
Now i'm one of the lucky ones who's exchange is close enough to get all the packages Smiley~

Now don't get me wrong, i'm very happy with Plusnet and all the services it provides, but at the end of the day no matter how good the company is people want higher bandwidth at a lower price. With all this competition about it's looking better for us end users. So hopefully Plusnet will come out with a similar packages/prices. And going by what i'm paying for my line at the moment i'm sure Plusnet will be very competitve!
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> There is a company called Bulldog that are now doing a range of residential services. They do a 512mb, 1mb, 2mb and even a 4mb line! A 2mb line costs only £39.99 per month and a 1mb £29.99 per month. These are available now.
>
> I know Plusnet buy their packages from BT, so they can only offer what BT has got. But from what Bulldog are offering, BT and Plusnet will have to pull their finger out and start offering at least and 1mb line at roughly the same price or they will lose a lot of customers.
>
>
Bulldog is not a good comparison - They are not resellers of a BT Wholesale product. Bulldog have taken advantage of Local Loop Unbundling and installed their own ADSL kit in some London exchanges for their high speed services (cf Easynet)

Nildram and Internet Central also now offer a high speed service but again not using a standard BT Wholesale product (see http://www.adslguide.org.uk/newsarchive.asp?item=1009)

Peter

N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

Any updates on this yet from plusnet? or timescale? Do they think they will be able to match the cost of the 2Mbit line which Im hoping to get.
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> Any updates on this yet from plusnet? or timescale? Do they think they will be able to match the cost of the 2Mbit line which Im hoping to get.

I'm afraid we are still playing a bit of a waiting game. I can confirm that we will definately be offering this service in the near future, but until we have everything in place we cannot release any details.

As with all of Plusnet's products, I'm pretty sure that we will be in a position to blow away the competition once we do release the pricing.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> > Any updates on this yet from plusnet? or timescale? Do they think they will be able to match the cost of the 2Mbit line which Im hoping to get.
>
> I'm afraid we are still playing a bit of a waiting game. I can confirm that we will definately be offering this service in the near future, but until we have everything in place we cannot release any details.
>
> As with all of Plusnet's products, I'm pretty sure that we will be in a position to blow away the competition once we do release the pricing.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support

Thats what we like to hear! Smiley Can you say if there will be some kind of upgrade charge for users to change from the 512k/s lines to 2/Mbit lines?

N/A

RE: 1mbit/2mbit ADSL

> Thats what we like to hear! Smiley Can you say if there will be some kind of upgrade charge for users to change from the 512k/s lines to 2/Mbit lines?

If the product was launched today there it be the cost of a full cease and re-provide (£50 + VAT). This is because your ADSL line needs to be disconnected from IPStream (The BT wholesale product most ADSL uses) and re-connected on Datastream - The BT product which allows ISP's to offer these new services.

Of course, by that time there may be a migration path created by BT or the costs of activations may come down.

With Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support