cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mb for online gaming?

pipscouse
Dabbler

1mb for online gaming?

I am considering an upgrade from 512 to the 1mb package. I'm a home user and would only consider the upgrade if it will make online gaming faster as this is my main reason for having broadband anyway. Will 1mb make a difference or will pings and lag remain dependent on the servers I connect to?
Many thanks
Phil
16 REPLIES
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

Makes no difference at all. Cheesy
pipscouse
Dabbler

1mb for online gaming?

Wow that was quick zenkai. You on 1mb lol. Thanks for the info. I won't bother in that case.
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

Yep it makes no difference at all - apart from downloading patches of course. Your ping is the same on 512 as it is on 1mb. As far as the extra bandwidth goes, it doesn't affect anything - even the highest bandwidth games like Battlefield1942 don't use more than 8-10k per second, so a 512k connection can already provide you with 6x that much already. I regraded to 1mb, so I can download demo's and patches at 125k per second now which is nice, but the actual gameplay is identical to 512
wheelnut
Grafter

1mb for online gaming?

Not strictly true:-

It will make a very small difference depending on your packet size.
At 512kbps a maximum length packet of 1500 bits will take 3ms (This is the time it will take to exit your ADSL modem) + the propagation time to reach the destination.

At 1Mbps this reduces to 1.5ms + prop, and at 2Mbps 0.75ms + prop.

For small packet sizes which are used for gaming the difference is still there but can be regarded as negligable compared to the variation in packet - packet prop. delay.
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

Not strictly true:-

It will make a very small difference depending on your packet size.

I am very happy with the size of my packet thankyou :lol:
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

Wow that was quick zenkai. You on 1mb lol. Thanks for the info. I won't bother in that case.

Yeah I'm on 1mb, was thinking about going back to 512 because I don't often need the extra speed for downloading larger files.

However when I changed to PlusNet the price I was paying for 1mb dropped so much that it isn't really worth changing again Cheesy I might even go up to 2mb because it's about what I used to pay for 1mb.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

I am on 1mb and its quite sad that it dont do anything for us on games.
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

It's not sad really, since most games require bi-directional communication a bigger download isn't going to help much when we all have 256kb upload.

Cheers
Zen
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

I also mean its sad how we cant get any bigger than 256k u. Damm uk again
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

would lowering the rwin help?? just a thought before I waste hours messing about only to find it does nothing to improve it, or worse still... make it worse
Community Veteran

1mb for online gaming?

Lowering RWIN will have no effect on ping times (if that was your hope) and may actually reduce throughput on large downloads.
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

Sad yea found out it slows down downloads, but as a trade off for gaming, would be worth it, but if it has no effect... oh well....best spend those few hours reading up on how to use dreamweaver Smiley

cheers Peter
N/A

1mb for online gaming?

The only real improvment you'll see for online gaming is if you see an ISP that has a faster upload speed thank the UK-Usual 256k, you'll get ALOT better pings, especially to US servers.

If only I could afford SDSL Cry lol.
Community Veteran

1mb for online gaming?

Having a faster upload or download speed does not guarantee you faster ping times. It is the network (In most cases BT's then your ISPs) that you travel over that determins this, not the speed that you travel over.

Even congestion / contention at your local exchange can have an effect on ping times, even if you had a 2Mb connection.