cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mb/2mb services

N/A

1mb/2mb services

Hello,

My exchange currently is in the process of being upgraded on 18/6 and I have an order in for Home self 500 service.

However recently the 1 & 2 mb service have caught my eye and I may be interested.

What I am asking is will I be able to tell from the test they do to make sure I can get 512k, if I could also have a higher speed service ? i.e. the line results.

Also a question on distance. I think I am currently around 4km from the exchange. Assuming the line loss was less than 45db could it still be possible to get 1/2mb. I assume the ISP checkers are only using the old wiring data for a rough guide on your line quaility ?

Finally the 17070 test. When I do this I just get a ringback message with "line test OK", but nothing about the distance. Am I doing this wrong ? I am sure I used, 3,1 then 2.

Many Thanks

Paul.
3 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 1mb/2mb services

> What I am asking is will I be able to tell from the test they do to make sure I can get 512k, if I could also have a higher speed service ? i.e. the line results.

Hi,

BT don't inform us automatically whether your line can support a higher speed service when you submit an order for 512k.
However, a good indication is if you go to www.bt.com/broadband and enter your number - this consults BT's database directly on line length.

> Also a question on distance. I think I am currently around 4km from the exchange. Assuming the line loss was less than 45db could it still be possible to get 1/2mb. I assume the ISP checkers are only using the old wiring data for a rough guide on your line quaility ?

If you are 4km from the exchange it is unlikely that you will be able to get the 1/2Mb service - however, there is no harm in submitting an order which will veryify this.

> Finally the 17070 test. When I do this I just get a ringback message with "line test OK", but nothing about the distance. Am I doing this wrong ? I am sure I used, 3,1 then 2.

We cannot condone the use of this service, as it is just intended for BT engineers to use (and can interfere with their own tests). Again, the best thing to do is use the URL above.

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----
N/A

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

So although I am over the 3.5 km distance surely if the line tests are OK it would pass for 1 / 2 mb services, or do they keep it strictly within the 3.5 km limit regardless.

Do you also know if there are any plans to increase the limits on the 1 / 2 mb services in the future as they have doen with 512k ?

Isthere anything that I can do at home to increase my chances of getting a better reading ?

As I am having a home self install do the engineers do all the testing from the exchange rather than my house ?

Thanks

Paul
N/A

> So although I am over the 3.5 km distance surely if the line tests are OK it would pass for 1 / 2 mb services, or do they keep it strictly within the 3.5 km limit regardless.

Hi,

BT *might* accept your order, but again this is subject to the individual tests.

> Do you also know if there are any plans to increase the limits on the 1 / 2 mb services in the future as they have doen with 512k ?

There are no immediate plans BT have for this at present AFAIK.

> Isthere anything that I can do at home to increase my chances of getting a better reading ?

It has been known that if you disconnect any cordless (especially DECT) phones, fax machines and sky boxes, BT have has an improved reading when testing. This is not a certainty however.

> As I am having a home self install do the engineers do all the testing from the exchange rather than my house ?

With self install, BT do all the work at the exchange, unless your line is borderline distance (when they may come to your house).

Hope this helps Smiley

Regards,
Richard

--
| Richard Allen................Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support.....................for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd.........@ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet -----