cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb download is it enough???

N/A

HI,

I have just joined Plusnet and am very happy but think I should have checked out the allowance of 1gb more carefully. I don't think the example they give for 1 months useage can be right. I have been surfing since 19th Nov and have already gone through 0.68gb. Ok my son did download a 9 minute clip but we haven't downloaded any songs, sent emails with attachments or photos etc. He has played a couple of games online but not for very long. Has anyone got any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong! At this rate I'll end up paying for 5 more gigs! Shockedops:
18 REPLIES
Midville
Grafter

I guess you can quickly eat up 1 Gb, have you use ADware tools or AV to ensure nothing else is eating it up.
N/A

What speed service have you signed up for? 1GB is not a lot and it and be quickly eaten up on downloads.

I would keep an eye on your usage over the next few months and then adjust your package to suite, since it obviously cheaper to by the bandwidth upfront than it is at the end of the month.

Aaron
lowry
Grafter

It is just my opinion, but when I'm recommending PlusNet I always suggest a pre-paid bandwidth of 2GB as the minimum, or else you won't really feel free to enjoy broadband. A few downloads (music, software, etc.) and a few movie trailers every week and you could use your 1GB pre-paid bandwidth quite easily.

The good thing is though, that you can change your allocated bandwidth easily and it is not that expensive if you go over by 1GB. Note that if you use say 2.4GB you would pay for 3GB at the end of the month.

The charges on Broadband Home are as follows:
Pre-pay data prices (Speed > Price per GB)
- 512k > £1.50
- 1MB > £1.75
- 2MB > £2.00

Pay as you go data prices (Speed > Price per GB)
- 512k > £1.90
- 1MB > £2.00
- 2MB > £2.10

It might be worth giving the FAQ a quick read just to familiarise yourself with the setup.

Enjoy your broadband Smiley
matt Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Don't forget plusnet measure not just downloading but uploading as well, so probably gaming was the major useage already. You can expect to be using at least 8kB/s [thats 4Kb down and 4Kb up] while online gaming and its worse for consoles.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Matt,

Just a mention, there are no cap's on Plus Net service, it's simply buying bandwidth upfront Wink

Aaron
lowry
Grafter

Hi Aaron,
Thanks. I have updated my post and I think the wording is all correct now (at least I hope so).

matt Shockedops:
N/A

broadband download 2

Thanks for everyones replies, I will try using my Adware more frequently from now on, I hadn't thought of that. :roll:
N/A

1 gig aint much if you tend to use games online a lot download stuff. I would always stick with unlimited
N/A

yep if there is more than one person using the internet you usage definatly can go up a lot, also do you use anything like MSN messenger or windows update (or any auto updating software infact)?

If I was you I would definatly look at having my internet package changed to one with a higher bandwidth, as you have only just started using this and already you are hittling you cap, what happens if you want to do something like listen to internet radio etc?
N/A

HI,

you're right that it would be hard for me to listen to online radio or download any songs etc. The only thing updates that I use are for my Norton antivirus would that use much? Anyway I have decided to add 2 more gigs to next months allowance which will cost about £18 for the month, mind you we'll be away for 10 days so I think it's a case of suck it and see! :shock:
N/A

that should do for now, at least you can us a few more things without worry. Personally I dont use norton but I know it definatly does small updates almost everyday. Thats the good thing with these packages you can swap and change. You never know though you may eventually want to look at the no cap package.. I have to use that as im doing about 100 gig a month.
aljo
Grafter

Blimey, 100Gig per month what the heck do you use the internet for, I'm on about 3 Gig this month and that includes downloading a couple of CD ISO images.

Reminds me of a person who walked into a computer shop and asked for a copy of the Internet on CD!
N/A

Lol I actually use a lot but its also between 4 people all on a network, I beta test a lot of software, have at least 1 internet radio stream going at all time sometimes have 4 going at once. All sending emails, using vnc, web browsing playing online games windows update linux isos, web sites a few causual downloads and it all adds up. Incidentally a lot of the games we play are things like half life 2 which we dont buy from a retail store but download driectly from steam.
N/A

So... (pre-pay) data prices for my 1MB connection are:

1GB = £15 a month
2GB = £16.75 a month
3GB = £18.50 a month

and so on...

what's the price for the unlimited monthly usage? I saw the option when I signed up but I can't remember the price - any attempt at finding out in the 'My Account' section seems to get me dangerously close to accidentally changing my package...