cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Mb Upgrade failed even though my line loss is 57.5dB ????

N/A

Plusnet have already submitted a manual order with the same result from BT :

This is the email i received from Plusnet :

"Unfortunately BT have once again rejected your order for the faster service. The regrade fee has been refunded and should be back in your account within the next 3 working days."

I then asked why the upgrade had failed and Plusnet replied :

"The line loss of your line is too high."

Sad

But i know that the line loss isn't too high :x

Miles

I sugest contacting Plusnet and quoting the SNR values, the attuation and the report from the BT checker.

Ask them to submit a manual orde,r however, be prepared to wait.
21 REPLIES
N/A

I had an email today from plus.net saying that my regrade had been rejected due to "line length/quality" but my draytek router reports a SNR of 26.5dB and a total Loop Attenuation of 57.5dB ? Any ideas what could have caused the test to fail ?

Thanks

Miles
Community Veteran

I suspect BT's line test resulted in a line loss higher than 60dB or your router is showing incorrect figures.

You need to raise this with plusnet and include what your router is telling you. They may be able to put a manual regrade order through if it is marginal.
N/A

Thanks for the quick reply, I have just added a follow up note to the original regrade support ticket, i'll see what plus.net say.

Thanks

Miles
N/A

A whoosh test has been performed on my line with the following results :

ADSL Status Check

OK

Circuit Information

Circuit In Sync

Upstream ADSL Link Info

Loop Loss 29 dB

Cell Count 214624

Downstream ADSL Link Info

Loop Loss 57.5 dB

Cell Count 205347

So it looks like my router gives the correct readings Cheesy

Will plus.net be able to place a manual order given the above information ?

Miles
Community Veteran

The only way t find out is to ask. As it looks like you line is OK for 1Mb I see no reason why the manual order method cannot be tried unless plusnet have specific reasons from BT why this would fail as well from the first attempt.
N/A

Plusnet submitted a manual order for me which has been rejected because "Line loss out of limits, LINE UNABLE TO SUPPORT 1000/2000 PRODUCTS" even though the whoosh test shows that the line is within limits Huh? Is there anything else i can do ?

Thanks

Miles
Community Veteran

Talk to plusnet again and see what they can do. It sounds like BTs line test is producing a higher figure than both the woosh test and your router. If that is the case then BT will keep rejecting it.

If however it's the SNR (signal to noise) figure that is too low then again BT will reject it.

See if PlsuNet can discover the actual reason for the rejection.
N/A

Is a SNR of 26.5dB (as reported by my router) bad then ?

Miles
Community Veteran

no, anything below 10 is bad so that should not be a reason for rejecting it.

So it's odd you keep getting rejected so PlusNet need to find out the real reason.
N/A

Since 6th Sept I have been rejected twice for regrade to 1Mb. But I would'nt accept a rejection as my line loss was 59.9Db and SNR of 22db, and I have had ADSL for two years - so I knew I should be able to get 1Mb.

This morning I was finally up and running on 1Mb - so far no problems.
I suggest you try and get Plusnet to put through a manual order - what does the ADSL checker say ?

In my case the ADSL checker told me I could 'nt get 1Mb or 2Mb hence BT would reject me straight away, I dont think they even bothered testing my line Only after I managed to get the checker updated (it now says I can get 1Mb) that I finally managed to get my order through sucessfully.
vic_newey
Grafter

Be aware that BT probably don't even bother to do a linecheck , they simply look at past history for your line , It seems suspicious to me that altho you have to wait days for them to do the upgrade, the presumed linecheck is done within hours of applying to your ISP
I too have good readings from my modem & BT rejected me to start with & didn't take into account the new line laid to our house, now I am awaiting 1 meg upgrade due on Monday but I won't hold my breath !

Moderators note (John) Duplicate post deleted.
N/A

The bt.com adsl checker used to say that i could only have 256 or 512 but it now says :

"Our initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides 2Mbps, 1Mbps, 512Kbps or 256Kbps download speed. " HuhHuhHuh

Miles
N/A

I sugest contacting Plusnet and quoting the SNR values, the attuation and the report from the BT checker.

Ask them to submit a manual orde,r however, be prepared to wait.
N/A

I just checked the order status on the BT order tracking website, this is what it says :

Date Order Placed: 21/09/2004
Requirement: Add, remove or update a product or service
Completion date:

Action Quantity Description
PROVIDE 1 (ADSL) BT IPSTREAM HOME 1000
CEASE 1 (ADSL) BT IPSTREAM HOME 500
PROVIDE 1 REGRADE ADSL, (AMBER) R3.3

What does (amber) R3.3 mean ?

Thanks

Miles