cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1MB connection - only downloads at 10KB from newsgroups - ?

N/A

My connection is 1MB, plusnet line test said I get 800+KB but my download speed from the newsgroups (news.plus.net) is only 10KB, my friends is 220KB (2MB connection) - why is this?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What product are you on?

If it's broadband plus then that is the speed you will get as it is not designed for P2P or binary usenet downloading because it is heavily traffic shaped as the product description states.
topfisher
Grafter

Hi, are you on the Broadband plus account? If so you'll only get between 10KB and 30KB on newsgroups and P2P file sharing.
N/A

Oh no, it is broadband plus.
I have raised a ticket on this and all I get told is "there is a problem and we are investigating", no one has mentioned it's due to the product i'm on.
Thanks for the info guys, what's my options for sorting this out then?
Community Veteran

upgrade to broadband premier or move to another ISP
N/A

What product are you on?

If it's broadband plus then that is the speed you will get as it is not designed for P2P or binary usenet downloading because it is heavily traffic shaped as the product description states.

Have been checking out the products and could not find anything that said you will get a slower download on Newsgroups, contention difference yes but this much would not explain it.
Are you sure that this is the issue as it isn't clear when you upgrade, I thought that the surf option was implemented to cater for this (and mine is unrestricted)?
Community Veteran

The BB+ is heavily traffic shaped to keep the cost down.

The BB+ product description (data transfer tab) states:
With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Ignore the busy periods bit as it is restricted for most of the time now.

The figures you have quoted for usenet downloading speeds have been given by other BB+ users.
N/A

I am on the Premier package and my newgroup downloads were going very fast for the first few days since I got broadband (Tuesday) but now they are crawling at 56kbps speeds Sad