cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1MB Problem.... Help!

N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

Hi all,

Since moving into my new house and having 1mb turned on here with the new loss limits I have had nothing but problems, the line keeps dropping and im having to reconnect and sometimes looses sync too, this is happening at no set time just randomly. After numerous responses to my ticket im still none the wiser to what is going on, can someone on here take a look at my ticket for me and maybe explain a bit clearer. The ticket ID is 13835946.

Plusnet support suggested i try the master socket only but it has been plugged into that since day 1 as the pc is right next to it. I have no extension wiring plugged in and no phone at current either, just a micro filter and the modem. I have also tried 3 different micro filters. The speed was ok when connected past 2 days but has been very very poor all day and night today. Modem is also the same one ive used just 2 streets away for the past year where plusnet supplied me with 512k adsl. See the pic of my modem stat page also which shows the errors and loss of link for a 2hr period after reconnecting last night.

Any help is really appreciated guys, thanks Gareth. Cry

17 REPLIES
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

Has been four days with no reply now, common someone put me out of my misery Cry
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

OK, considering the simplicity of your setup, please try the following.

1: Remove the small front face of the Master Socket to expeose the test socket.

2: Plug your modem directly into this, without a filter.

Test that for a few hours, and report back on your findings.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

1MB Problem.... Help!

The data sent & recieved is that during that 2hr period? if it is would say which ever p2p app you are using is flooding you modem off. Reduce its maximum connections until it stops this.
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, I was not able to try what you suggested until today, I removed the front face from the master socket but there was no test socket behind this, when i took the face off the only socket was the one that was on the face i removed, then one you would plug into normally. All that remained once the face was removed was the wire, there were 6 of them all different colours but I noted only a dark blue with a white band and a light blue with a white band wires were connected up to the socket at terminals 2 and 5. Still no reply from plusnet support, has been 6 days now.

Connection has only dropped a handful of times over the past few days again at random times, but this morning ive lost connection and sync in excess of ten times in the space of 2 hrs or so.
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

All that means is that you have an older style faceplate, and not one of the newer NTe5's.

The NTe5 was introduced, so that customers have an easy way to legally connecting extentions, and performing tests.

I would continue to report this as a fault to PlusNet, and note that you have an older style faceplate, with no way of isolating your extentions for testing.

They should be able to pass this to BT, who in turn may be booked to see you and replace the master socket. At which time, they can also help perform a test for you.
Community Veteran

1MB Problem.... Help!

You are not connected to the master socket but an ordinary extension socket (unless yours is very old).

A master socket has a lower section which can be unscrewed which has no wires connected to it. The master socket will also usually have a BT logo/symbol on it.

The lower section connects into the test socket.

You need to find the master socket and plug your modem into it and see if it is any better. The master socket is usually where you phone line enters your building.

If tis is just an extension socket, having only have 2 wires connected is not normal for an extension - was this fitted yourself? If so see UK Telephone Extension Wiring to know what additional wires to connect - but don't use a screwdriver to force the wires into the connector, get a proper crimp tool.
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

mine doesnt look like this, ill take some pics with the digicam and post em up here later. Ive got a small sealed box with a single screw on it as soon as the wire enters the house with an oldstyle british telecom logo on it, then the wire leaves this box and goes into the front room where the wire goes into a normal telephone socket box with another old style british telecom logo on it. This must be the master socket as it is the only one here. There is only this box in the front room and no extension wiring around the house whatsoever.
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

I would like to add that if someone who is not authorised to touch a BT installed socket does so and breaks it, and a BT engineer is required, then they are liable for the bill as the socket is technically BT's.

Apart from that, i have a superb 2mb connection!

Craig
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

...Also I forgot to mention this, I called BT faults yesterday because since I reported the fault with my DSL the caller display function on my telephone line has not been working, so I cant see the numbers of people calling me on the lcd display screen. They then asked me did I have any exisiting faults because one had been raised with wholesale and they were doing a 'space repair'. Any idea what this is ?
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

Unsure.

However, you shouldn't report ADSL faults to BT directly. They may attempt investigation, however, this will stop stating you need to raise it with your ISP.
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

There are some Caller Display Units that are incompatible with broadband, CDU-50 being one of them.

Do you know what unit you actually have Grimbo?

Craig
Community Veteran

1MB Problem.... Help!

There are also some ADSL filter/splitters that are incompatible with Caller ID / Caller displays.
N/A

1MB Problem.... Help!

The fault was just mentioned by BT in passing conversation, they said they wouldnt do anything to interfere with it. As for the caller ID I just changed the filter back to my original one ive used before fault finding and it now works again, so thanks for that tip guys I would never have thought of that myself.

Ive now also got some pics of my master socket etc.... The first one is as soon as you walk through the front door on the skirting board, then the wire you see coming from it travels into the front room and into the master socket you see in the second picture, the box below the socket is just the splitter. I must have an old type socket, note the old T shaped BT logo on both pics.

Does this need to be changed to stop my dropped connections ? :?:

Thanks.
Community Veteran

1MB Problem.... Help!

I would certainly request it to be changed - you need to mention you are having disconnect problems and have an old style BT master socket and plusnet should pass the fault on to BT, who should then replace the first box with a new master socket.