cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1MB Line, 43db SNR - Local Exchange being DSL Max in March.

Community Veteran

Are you sure you are quoting your SNR as it sounds like it's actually your line attenuation? It is line attenuatin that determins what speed you can get at the monent. Also many routers are inaccurate when reporting line stats. What router are you using and what firmware is it running?

You need to post both line atten & SNR for downstream for us to comment further on what speed you could get with MaxDSL.
17 REPLIES
N/A

I am currently on the 2mb Premier package but can only get 1mb due to distance from exchange.
I have a SNR of 43db according to my router.

Reading various posts in this forum, I understand the reasoning on BT only providing a 1MB line.

According to http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ my exchange is about to get DSL Maxed at the end of March.

Will the exchange upgrade help me in getting a 2MB line?

If it does, do I need to do anything by way of contacting PlusNet or will the speed increase happen automatically?
N/A

First off, you will be upgraded automatically. Also, your SNR is so high, that you should expect nothing less than 6Mb, but more likely the full 8Mb, so don't worry too much about getting the 2Mb upgrade first.

Just to clarify, you can be upgraded right from 1Mb all the way to your line's maximum potential speed, which should be in the region of 6-8Mb, if you interpreted your router's stats correctly.

Edit: Just out of curiousity, do you mind providing your attenutation reading?
That's the highest out-of-limit for 2Mb SNR I've ever seen.
N/A

I am using a Netgear DG834 router, the silver one.

The firmware is V2.10.22.

Connection Speed Downsteam = 1152kbps
Upstream = 288kbps

Line Attenuation Downstream = 41db
Upstream = 11.5db

Noise Margin Downstream = 25db
Upstream = 23db
N/A

You're confusing SNR with line attenuation. SNR = Noise Margin.

If you try plugging your numbers in to the calculator at http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm then it thinks your line will max out at about 6.3M so in practice you'll probably get between 4 and 6 including overheads.
Community Veteran

I'm not sure if I'm reading my stats correctly either then:

SNR 11
Line attn 45

DSL Status : Up
DSL Modulation Mode : GDMT
DSL Path Mode : FAST
Downstream Rate : 2272 Kbps
Upstream Rate : 288 Kbps
Downstream Margin : 11 db
Upstream Margin : 27 db
Downstream Line Attenuation : 45
Upstream Line Attenuation : 24
Downstream Transmit Power : 0
Upstream Transmit Power : 0

cheers

A
N/A

Yes amcclean, you're correct in that assumption.

Should see 4Mb with that.
Community Veteran

Cheers inhumanist ,

Could you tell me where you get the 4mb connection speed from. on checking the online calculator mentioned elsewhere it gives anywhere from 2.5 to 8. I guess I'll have to wait and see but the suspence is starting to frustrate me.

A
Alecto
Grafter

This gives an estimate of your likely top speed based on your line stats.
N/A

Well amcclean, I based my approximation on two things. Firstly according to the professionals on ADSLGuide, you lose 4-5dB per doubling of speed after 2Mb, so if BT keep their 6dB lowest safe margin after the trials, as they are doing now, it would appear you're good for 4Mb.

Also, my friend on UK Online has an attenuation of 57dB, and he syncs at 4.2Mb.

Have you checked your router stats over time? If you ever see your SNR drop below 11dB, I’d retract my initial conjecture and say 2-5Mb, to 3Mb.
Community Veteran

tends to stay around 12 and 11 used to be 23.

Thanks for the explanation.

A
Community Veteran

just removed sky box from phone line and snr shot up to 24 now down to 18 it appears to be an internall wiring thing.

glad bt didn't come out to tell me that and hand me the bill

A
Highlighted
N/A

hmmmm, out of curiosity, i just tried the same thing. In fact I disconnected all of the phones as well.

My Noise Margin Downstream = 25db when everything was plugged in.
Now it is showing 10db.

I must admit, my internal telephone wiring is a bit of a mess, half of it my own doing and half of it inherited when I moved in.

The Sky engineer hasn't done me any favours by using shoddy hand made extension leads to connect the Sky box to the phone line.

I have the BT master socket and have run each of the 4 extensions from BEHIND it which means I need a filter on all 4 extensions that has a Sky box or telephone connected to it.

Is this the correct way of wiring up the telephone extensions?
My 6th sense says it isn't.
Community Veteran

I bought wireless dect phones a while back so I have 3 phones and only one connection to the bt line. I also have sky which if not plugged in for a while dies until it's reconnected and my router.

Perviously the router was on the extension and the master phone and sky on the main socket. I plugged everything into the main bt master socket behind the front panel and the stats were fantastic. Last night i disconnected the extension and the stats are still great. Turns out it was internal wiring.

A
N/A

Hi,

Im in nearly the same postion as MSDOS:
I am currently on the 2mb Premier package but can only get 1mb due to distance from exchange.

I say NEARLY because Im currently on 2mb, but I have to move to another property and the line there can only handle 1mb. So I will theoretically be downgraded.

I have checked with exchange info page on usertools and I got the same as most queries. The new exchange Im moving to is due an upgrade. Im not really bothered with 4 or 6 or 8mb, as long as I get my 2mb back.

Will this be possible?
How will the distance from the exchange affect this?

Cheers,

Maka

" If I see further than others, it is because I stand on the shoulders of Giants"--Galileo