Speed Tested
Speed Units
Bandwidth Down 512 129 Kbits/sec
Bandwidth Up 256 63 Kbits/sec
Ping Latency 180 207 milliseconds
Receive Buffer Size --- 256960 bytes
About Internet Performance

Bandwidth

Your Internet bandwidth for downloads is lower than it should be.
Your Internet bandwidth for uploads is lower than it should be.

Test from From www.pcpitstop.com
=================================
No point moaning, we already know the above is due to the ongoing thing with BT.
I just wanted to update any PlusNet support who come here to read the postings on the current status during weekend use at peak time.

I will be testing small upstream bit rates today, using RealServer 8 and MMS WME 7.1, Use RealPlayer (RealOne Player) and Windows Media Player to listen.

Mount point for RealOne Players (ram): http://webcast.jasondolan.net:8080/ramgen/encoder/live.rm

Mount point for Windows Media Players (asx):
http://easylink.sea.playstream.com/dolanlive.wvx

(But not both at the same time)

I will be testing Live video and audio intermitently on the upstream at 10 K/bs to 20 K/bs bit rates max for personal performnce tests during today if you're intrested from around 7pm to 11pm. After which you can add feedback here and see if there where any drops, or losses.

<End of topic>
--
Jason
=====
5 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 17/08/02 PlusNet update on bandwidth @ 6pm

Despite the problems i have to admit, this is the best i have seen my ADSL work in a long time!,

Connected first time, and while i write this i'm on www.musicbridge.com (you need to be a member to see the whole braodband videos) and i'm currently on 'The Belinda Carlilse' music video channel @ 450 K that's 45.03 K/bs streaming Windows Media!!.

Maybe it's so good as it's Saturday night, and most folk are out clubbing.. but it proves one thing, when it's not too busy.. PlusNet ADSL is brilliant!
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Correct URL is: http://www.musicbrigade.com
you can watch up to 1Mb if you have that fast a connection Smiley @ 00.52am 18/08/02 the ADSL report is 100% great my end.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

That was nearly two solid hours of watching streaming music videos with no problems whatsoever!.

As i said earlier PlusNet is performing well at this early hour in the morning, i reckon i'm right, it will be as it's now Sunday morning and folk are out enjoying themselves, so this will explain the great downstream and upstream i'm getting!.

By tomorrow afternoon it probably will slow down again same as it was slow earlier on saturday @ 6pm when i started monitoring again.

But when this new pipe is fitted or when BT fix the actual fault, it's going to be good Smiley

Night night.
--
Jason
=====
N/A

Look ADSL can be and has been much better than this. Until you see it performing over a long time period much better than plusnet will you realise how damaging your praises here are.
N/A

> Look ADSL can be and has been much better than this. Until you see it performing over a long time period much better than plusnet will you realise how damaging your praises here are.

Hello Chris,

I have been here 2 years on PlusNet thats long!.
i wasn't just using the connection yesterday to open webpages, but was really putting it to the test running a RealServer and MMS (MicroSoft Media Server) so in a way it was no different to P2P software, i had an upstream and a down going at same time, and was still able to surf the net. with plenty to spare!.

But i understand, i have been having lots of troubles just like everyone here, from failure to connect for whole nights, to just a few attempts etc.. and very poor Upstream and Down, although i have to admit my Downstream seems to be a little faster than most other people giving reports here.
But my Up is terrible! only ranging from 6 K/bs and interminently going to a max of 20 K/bs when things quiet a bit.

But last night 'Saturday' when i was running things as above, it was excellent, and yet it was rubbish only 6 hours earlier.

I suspect it was because it was a Saturday night, and the congestion was eased by the hoggers going out clubbing!.

I use my connection for surfing, FTPing and streaming media use.
I don't play computer games.

Everyone is different, in how they demand the bandwidth, and also where you live and how good the exchange is.. i'm lucky, my exchange isn't an old one and was one of the first to be available when BT switched over to digital lines back in 1995-6. I recall caller display for example wouldn't work on the older exchanges and BT were fobbing folk off. I live in Glasgow, so i'm a long way from Sheffeild and maybe it's not affecting me as bad at present, but i know even thou i'm still not getting the Up and Down that i should, it still is working alot better.
Have a good Sunday!.

--
Jason
=====