cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 meg connection

zpeterk
Grafter

1 meg connection

I have tried alsorts of different mtu settings etc and don't seem to be able to get a down load speed above 100kbits/sec. Should it be better that this? and if so should I raise a ticket for it?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

1 meg connection

Could be loads of other reasons including:

Your PC, it's speed, what ADSL equipment you use, if you use a USB or lan based ADSL modem, your line conditions (signal streangth, SNR ration, line loss), interference both in your home and outside. The equipment being used by BT at the exchange, the status of your exchange green/amber/red, the capacity at your exchange - remember your product has a contention ration 50:1 for home users and 20:1 for business and this may contribute to the max speed you can get.

Probably 99% of the reasons above PlusNet have no control over.

100K is pretty good and well above what BT claim as an acceptable speed for your line.

You could raise a ticket and ask PlusNet to do a woosh test to see what your line quality is like - post the results here. If it is on the edge for 1Meg service that could explain why you cannot go above 100KButes/s
N/A

1 meg connection

lo,are you downloading from +net file vault?if not try that as it is the only download that can you can be sure of that has the fastest connection and routing to your pc.tweaking will only give you a fast result for the connection you are currently trying to download from,as the www is made up of lots of different hardware systems one setting that is good for uk use wont allways mean that you will get better speeds on euro networks or further afield.when downloading from +net try it at different times and allways try big downloads as they will give it time to stabilise.i find no problem leaving xp to its default settings using either pci modem or router.i live 200 yards from xchange in an area with fairly low contention and generally hit around 115k on a file vault d/l,i reckon if i wasnt living in n ireland,under same conditions i should be able to hit 120k .in theory at bt connection speed 144k is possible but due to the overheads involved thats pie in the sky.best time to try a download for speed test purposes i have found is first thing in the morning before i go to work,and before businesses start turning pc's on,if you can hit around 115k then on default windows settings you are doing okSmiley