cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

mike001
Grafter

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

Basically, Plusnet are introducing pricing based on a 'Fair Usage Policy' rather than Speed.

Everone, from April, will receive the fastest speed possible on their line, and continue to pay whatever they are paying now, but the amount they pay will determine their 'Fair Usage Level'.

Can you explain this as well as I am getting a litle confused thanks :-)

http://www.plus.net/press/press_releases/160305_2.shtml
10 REPLIES
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

ive got 1 Mb at the moment wondering what 2 Mbits like is it worth getting? do you get a new IP address with it ,

thanks cc Smiley
LiamM
Grafter

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

Your IP Address remains unchanged.

I recently upgraded from 1Mb to 2Mb and it has made a huge difference to me. When I get the connection to myself, I am never waiting for pages to load, and when the other computer on the network is also being used, I do not lose any speed from when I had 1Mb.

For me it was worth it.... Depends how you wish to use it. If you just surf, then, unless your a hardcore net maniac who wants the fastest connection possible, it probably wouldn't be worth it. If you download a lot, at the same time, or can't wait for big things to download, then it is worth it. Likewise if you are running a network with more than 1 machine, it is, in my opinion, worth it.

Out of interest, are you aware of what is happening at Plusnet right now?

Everybody will be upgraded to the max speed supported on each individual line (upto 2Mb) Free Of Charge between April - June, then (hopefully from August/September) will be able to uprade further to upto 8Mb Free Of Charge.

You might want to have a look around the 'Customer Feedback' forum, namely the Sticky Posts at the top and especially the explaination from Ian Wild.
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

think ill go for it, free upgrade coming mmmm,
how would that work is it a free upgrade only connection then would you have to pay extra for the 2 Mbit service, good info thanks cc Smiley
Community Veteran

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

You wait, you get upgraded for free (always subject to your line supporting higher speeds) between April and June, you pay no more than you do now.
LiamM
Grafter

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

Basically, Plusnet are introducing pricing based on a 'Fair Usage Policy' rather than Speed.

Everone, from April, will receive the fastest speed possible on their line, and continue to pay whatever they are paying now, but the amount they pay will determine their 'Fair Usage Level'.

So, as you are now paying £29.99, from April, you will be paying £29.99 for a Fair Usage Level of 50Gb and you will receive a free upgrade to 2Mb. If you do not use 50Gb, you can downgrade (£14.99 one off Admin Fee) to £21.99/month where you can use 30Gb of usage per month.

However, the Fair Usage Policy is NOT a Cap. You can go over it, intermittantly. More information is available The official announcement with regards to this is here : http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24960

The official announcement with regards to the Product Upgrades is here : http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24962

Do not be put off with these announcements. For the majority of Plusnet Customers, this will only bring benefits. It's only the top couple of percent who are the heaviest of users that will be affected.

The Free Upgrades and Fair Usage Policy implementation have been discussed in huge detail over in the Customer Feedback Forum and I would advice having a read around there.

In short, you're connection, as it stands, will be upgraded to the fastest speed possible (upto 2Mb) from April and before end of June. Then, there will be the possibility of another upgrade in the future (most likely from August/September) which will take you to the maximum upto 8Mb. These, will be Free Of Charge, and you will continue to pay £29.99 unless you choose otherwise.

Hope the above helps!
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

If thats true... then i'm laughing all the way to the download sites!

30Gb/month is probably fine for me, off and onpeak, even although off is 230GB.

The fact PN now have a new 1GB link to London for other ISP's will improve connectivity between me and the internet... so all good.. just need BT to stick me onto fibre ADSL!

Craigster
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

just need BT to stick me onto fibre ADSL!
LOL good one...
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

Question:

Being upgraded to the fastest available speed, does it mean that modems will have to be replaced with faster ones, just like in the old days?
Community Veteran

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

No most modems / routers will cope with up to 8mbits now.
N/A

1 Mbit VS 2 Mbit

I upgraded my speed from 1m to 2m about 1 month ago and my speed is all over the place according to the Plusnet speed checker.
Over the last 4 days it has ranged from 619kbps to 1898kbps. Two checks a few seconds apart can show a difference of 500kbps or more.

Date Speed Achieved (kbps)
22-03-2005 20:55:34 1163.4
22-03-2005 20:55:04 619.1

When I was on 1m it was steady around 920kbps
I had a look at the PlusNet speed optimization page but all that tells me is the BT tool is obsolete and has no other suggestions. I have to wonder what is the point of the page if it does not offer any help.