cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 MB Connection

keithcalder
Grafter

1/2 MB Connection

I recently asked for my line to be upgraded but due to a 54Db loss I am told I cannot get a faster service. the thing is, one of my neighbours has a 1Mb service and lives 2 doors down. Now I know that his line length or quality may be shorter and better than mine but all the new line checkers seem to say I can have a better speed unlike the old ones. My point is, why does it have to cost so much to upgrade? Surely the amount of work done on the line doesn't warrant £60+, just to see if it works and another £60 to reconnect to the old service if the line fails. Surely there must be a simpler way which doesnt cost an arm and a leg as well as 7-10 days downtime.

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Exclamation mark in title has been changed to a 1, presuming that was what you intended.]
5 REPLIES
N/A

1/2 MB Connection

Currently, BT provide no upgrade process.

What +Net and BT call upgrades are totaly different.

+Net provide a method that will allow transition between two packages. From a low, to a higher rated package.

Because BT do not provide a upgrade path, what physicaly happens, is your ADSL is terminated, as if you no longer want it, then a 100% fresh order is placed with BT, AKA, as if you are only just activating.

There is a thread on the forums, regarding the lengths sombody went through to prove there line could take 2MB DSL (which it eventualy did).

The differance between your own and his request is, he knew the two lines involved where exact, where yours and you neigbours could have been installed at different times, and thus, once reaching a cab down the road, take 2 totaly different routes to the exchange.
Community Veteran

1/2 MB Connection

It could also vary in accordance to the type of line used, aluminium or copper and the quality of the materials and the connections at the cab box(es), poles and exchange.

Chris
keithcalder
Grafter

1/2 MB Connection

So then what would you recommend, do plusnet have any plans in the near future or infact Bt to make the upgrade easier and cheaper should the line fail. Do I get Bt to whoosh test my line again? I definately would like a faster connection but I dont want to be paying if it fails and I have to go back to the 512.
Community Veteran

1/2 MB Connection

One day BT will indeed have a proper upgrade path in place, allowing one to upgrade form 512K to higher speed services without the current cease-and-reprovide.

Thomas
Community Veteran

1/2 MB Connection

The systems are in trial at the moment.

There will be an upgrade fee of £35+vat but AFAIK if you fail you get it refunded and go back to your old service.

Also if I remember correctly from the documentation i've seen the upgrade process will only work on same contention services ADSL 500 - 1mb 20:1 and ADSL 500 - 1mb 50:1 connections. So it maybe a case that BT won't fully launch this until they get the 50:1 1mb service up and running.

Chris