cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.5Mb ADSL is not broadband

N/A

According to the Harvard Conference in 1996, speeds of up to 1Mb are known as the Midband generation and speeds of over 1.5Mb is the real Broadband generation.

So when my £22.99 per month pays for a 1.5Mb connection when the prices drop, I'll have enough bandwidth to watch near-dvd quality mpeg-4 streaming movies - more realistic video-on-demand.
7 REPLIES
N/A

RE: 0.5Mb ADSL is not broadband

> According to the Harvard Conference in 1996, speeds of up to 1Mb are known as the Midband generation and speeds of over 1.5Mb is the real Broadband generation.

Its a sad fact that what we call broadband in the uk is, ahem, not, broadband. I wonder why? Could it be something to do with the structure of the uk telecomms industry?
N/A

its all bt's fault

N/A

ps anything which is not on a anologue phone line is broadbeens

N/A

actually that is incorrect use of termanology. Broard band refers to the way in which the wave lengths work and are not anything to do with speed. Connections can be either base band or broard band. Base band connections as used in LANS and the like use one signal frequency to transmit data and is capable of 100mbps or even 1000mbps. Broard Band communication uses different levels of frequencies to transmit data.

The term 'Midband' is purely a marketing term in this respect that is being used, but is technicaly incorrect.
keithcalder
Grafter

Re: RE: 0.5Mb ADSL is not broadband

its all bt's fault

Yes my freind and this is what they did to me
Link

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Display text added to link, as it was messing up the page layout a bit.]
N/A

did you know in countries such as sweden you can get a 10mbit (both ways) resisdential conenction for around £20 a month :/
N/A

last post

:shock: Thats no real suprise - -rip-off britain etc. its all BT's fault