cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time Scale & Costs

Username
Grafter

Time Scale & Costs

The more I look at this, the more scope I can see in "upgrading" our clients accounts to this service, and even moving a few clients to the PlusNet fold from other ISPs.
It would be helpful therefore to have some ball park costs (for both domestic & business accounts) as well as some rough idea as to when (if adopted) this would go live. Obviously we won't hold you to anything, but something would be good for bugets and timescale planning.
12 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Time Scale & Costs

Well, part of what this trial is about is for you to tell us the answer to this... What would you pay for what?
It remains to be seen anyway, because the price we pay depends a lot on how many customers get it and how we decide to deploy a service like this. But if you want a ballpark, I suspect we end up with a number of levels of service that range from £2 for a basic product and a single PC design, to between £5 and £10 a month for more features and power. As I say though, that is entirely up in the air at the moment.
Ian

andyrogers
Grafter

Hi
In my opinion it would be good to see different levels of costs depending upon the amount of power that the end user requires.
But bearing in mind I would not want to see the monthly cost being to much, ie say more the a monthly equilivent of an already off the shelf software solution which are available now.  If it was to much, then you would not get much takeup as people would just choose the software approach as at the moment.
Prehaps you could have a say top line one with unlimited or a limit cap for business with all of the features enabled, for around £10 PM maybe a bit more.
Then a level of around of 4-5 home users for around £4-5 per month, and the basic one you suggested for £2 for 1-2 users maybe.
These are just some of my thoughts at the moment, but we don't even know at the moment what features will be finally be available in the end product for a couple of months by the looks now.  So it does say look very open for debate at the moment.
Andy
Community Veteran

When it comes to setting a price, you need to bear in mind that a lot of the features of Aladdin are available from freeware products. For example, I currently use AVG Free for virus protection, Windows Defender for Spyware and Blue Coat K9 for parental control.
Aladdin needs to add value to these products to justify a fee. In my case that added value would be being able to control web access from non PC devices (e.g. games consoles). How much would I be prepared to pay for this - it's difficult to say.
Bob
sheepdip
Dabbler

Just a thought but how is it going to be priced? Is it by the number of PC's connected (if each one can have its own profile), or by the number of profiles used or even by the amount downloaded (I think not. How would that work!!!!) Huh
If there are different options would it cost extra depending on the different package that each person it on, because each person has their own download limits. i.e. should someone on option 1 pay the same as someone on option 3 with 30x more usage
Untill we have some idea of the various options how can you really say how much you are prepared to pay?
Don't have a preference either way it just seems a good question to ask.
Username
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby
When it comes to setting a price, you need to bear in mind that a lot of the features of Aladdin are available from freeware products. For example, I currently use AVG Free for virus protection, Windows Defender for Spyware and Blue Coat K9 for parental control.
Don't forget that AVG and K9 are only "free" to private, non-commercial users - where Aladdin scores is that it protects the whole network. For a small business/organisation this is important - it means that all settings can be controlled from one location (ie the Control Panel or whatever it will be called for adding white/black list entries), staff with some PC knowhow cannot change settings, visiting laptops are offered some protection (Malware) while also being blocked from visiting unsuitable sites.
Quote from: Ian
I suspect we end up with a number of levels of service that range from £2 for a basic product and a single PC design, to between £5 and £10 a month for more features and power
Now that sounds about right to me...
What would be needed (atleast for buiness accounts) is the ability to edit/replace the Blocked Page message

I see a lot has been said on the Cost factor, but is there any news on the Timescale for rollout?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Quote from: Username
What would be needed (at least for business accounts) is the ability to edit/replace the Blocked Page message

I've started a new topic Blocked Page message requirements to collect ideas and help develop a specification for this requirement.
I see a lot has been said on the Cost factor, but is there any news on the Timescale for rollout?

I've updated the Aims and Timescales topic to reflect my views - not necessarily PlusNet's - on where we are up to with the trial. I think the availability of the Parental Control Agent (which perhaps needs a different name in the context of this post) is a major driver for paid-for release, and that is now August (beta) and September (release).
Obviously definitive timescales must come from PlusNet and not me.
David
David
Community Veteran

Quote from: Username
Don't forget that AVG and K9 are only "free" to private, non-commercial users - where Aladdin scores is that it protects the whole network. For a small business/organisation this is important - it means that all settings can be controlled from one location (ie the Control Panel or whatever it will be called

So does that mean that Aladdin will primarily be aimed at business users? If so the pricing might put a lot of residential users off.
Bob
Superuser
Superuser

So does that mean that Aladdin will primarily be aimed at business users? If so the pricing might put a lot of residential users off.

I don't think aiming the product primarily at business users is the case at all. As Ian Wild said earlier …
Quote from: Ian
Well, part of what this trial is about is for you to tell us the answer to this... What would you pay for what?

I don't regard that question as specifically directed towards business users.
The 3rd Aim of the Trial and Success Criteria are …
Quote from: spraxyt
  • 3. To confirm that Customers recognise there is value in the solution, (as an added-value item at a small additional cost - to be defined by PlusNet).

Success Criteria
The fundamental measure of success is customer feedback.
- Are people happy to use the solution?
- Do people see value in paying for it?
- If it were offered to the wider customer base, would it be a popular option?

Perhaps the capabilities of the eSafe Agent to protect games consoles (to be confirmed next week (reference)) will influence residential user opinion; unfortunately it will be August before a beta version of that is available for review. Are there any residential user thoughts on the Success Criteria at the present time?
David
David
Community Veteran

I guess most residential users will have one or two PCs, currently protected by freeware (like myself) or with something like Norton Internet Security. Norton covers up to 3 PCs and Amazon are currently selling it for £32.98. I'm not sure what the licence is on Norton but assuming it's 12 months then the cost is £2.75 per month.
Assuming that Aladdin could completely replace something like Norton (could it?) then a monthly subscription of around £2 to £3 seems about right.
What do others think?
Bob
Superuser
Superuser

Assuming that Aladdin could completely replace something like Norton (could it?) …

I think the answer to that has to be no. Aladdin can only protect against malware that arrives via the Internet. Anything loaded from CD/DVD/memory stick etc, cannot be checked by Aladdin so desktop scanning is needed.
It is worth reviewing the contents of the General Questions section of the FAQ. This covers:

• I already have an antivirus, why do I need this service?

• Does it replace my desktop antivirus?

• I have a personal-firewall, isn't it enough?

• I have a home network, should I install the service on all PCs?

• Does the service inspect file-sharing (KaZaa, eDonkey, BitTorrent)?

• Can you guarantee that with this service I will never have viruses?

So basically I think in terms of malware protection Aladdin should be regarded as the first line of defence. However Aladdin also offers protection against threats of a more unsavoury kind that might be regarded as unsuitable content for certain age groups. In assessing value the full range of options needs to be assessed.
David
David
Community Veteran

I was assuming that Norton 2008 also included parental control although looking at the spec again, it appears that it does not. I used to run Norton Internet Security 2003 and that did include a parental control filter - hence my assumption that this was included in the latest version.
I still think that unless the price is very competitive for residential users then there will not be much uptake.
Bob
aclow
Dabbler

I have to say that I really like Alladin, but if it were more than a pound or two per month, it would really put me off.
I'm currently on the cheapest of plusnet's broadband products, and a bit price conscious.
I don't know which aspects of Alladin cost plusnet more, but I like the idea of paying for the number of profiles or the flexibility options, because I'm very happy to put the whole family and any/all our equipment on the one profile, set it on strict and leave it alone.
At some point I may have to allow access to instant messaging, but not for a few years yet, and it again would be a once-off change.