cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching Between profiles

sheepdip
Dabbler

Switching Between profiles

This is maybe a question that everybody knows the answer to but reading the posts I can't find it.
As I am on the family profile due to having a couple of kids under 10 (never know where they will end up) is there any way to switch profiles between family and malware (for us older kids)?
PS First impression are pretty good! 
33 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Switching Between profiles

Welcome to the Aladdin trial.
I think it requires action from the PN support staff in response to a ticket raised at http://trials.plus.net to change the profile. So can't be done at will, so to speak.
I'll add this question and answer to the FAQs once we have a definitive answer.
David
David
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

As David correctly says, at the moment there isn't an easy way to switch between these. There would have to be a request made through the trials link for us to move you between them. As this is completely manual we would ask that this is kept to a minimum where possible.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
sheepdip
Dabbler

Speaking for myself with family I think that some way of switching between profiles would be a great feature. Alot of people using this on the family profile would be using it to prevent our kids getting to sites they arn't supposed to. Then after the darlings are away to their bed you could then change it to a grown up profile (or is an option to turn it off altogether easier). 
I know this kind of defeats the purpose of the Safer Surfing option but I reckon its there for the children rather than the adults.
I see mention in some of the other posts a white list being mentioned and a control panel. Has anything been worked out as to how this would work?
Superuser
Superuser

The only information I'm aware of on the Parental Control Agent is that it is due for beta release in May and will provide permanent or temporary whitelisting (configurable by the parent).
Perhaps Aladdin would let us know how this is progressing and comment on whether it will provide this sort of "quick switch" option?
David
David
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

The spec. of the SecureSafe agent which Ian Wild posted here says that it should be capable of supplying what you need.
"Different profiles for each PC user regardless of PC User name". 
A Beta version of the product is scheduled to be available this month (May 200Cool but no recent update on dates?  There is also some dependency on how much of the new functionality Plusnet plan to be generally available in a product.
My belief is that this trial group will be able to access most (if not all) of the available features to help PlusNet define the final product they will promote.
Maurice
sheepdip
Dabbler

Is there any information yet on the Parental Control Agent and when it will be made available to test?
Superuser
Superuser

Please would Aladdin respond to the questions in replies #4 and #6 in this topic which for convenience are quoted below?
Quote from: spraxyt
The only information I'm aware of on the Parental Control Agent is that it is due for beta release in May and will provide permanent or temporary whitelisting (configurable by the parent).
Perhaps Aladdin would let us know how this is progressing and comment on whether it will provide this sort of "quick switch" option?

Quote from: sheepdip
Is there any information yet on the Parental Control Agent and when it will be made available to test?

David
David
aladdin
Grafter

Aladdin Reply:
The release of eSafe Agent beta was postponed due to enhancements added to the service.
The Beta new release date is scheduled during August. The eSafe Agent release is scheduled to be available during September
Regards,
Asa

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Sad!  Without the Agent the service is not that useful?
sheepdip
Dabbler

Bit sad.  Sad
The control panel was the feature I was waiting for to find out how useful the service would be. Because it is to restrictive for adults I have just asked to change profile to the malware profile.
The only problem is it defeats part of the reason for being on the trial which was to find out how useful it would be to the children.
Don't know what everybody else thinks?
Community Veteran

I have two eleven year old sons and as well as using the family computer they will soon be accessing the Internet using their PS3 and PSPs. I can control their access on the family computer (I use Blue Coat K9 http://www1.k9webprotection.com/) but the big benefit I hope Aladdin will bring, is to allow me to set different profiles for the PC, PSPs and PS3. My intention is to use the Malware profile for the family computer (and continue to use K9) and the family profile for the PS3 and PSPs. Can someone confirm if this will be possible once the eSafe Agent has been released?
The family PC has four different XP accounts for myself, my partner and one each for the two kids. I could do away with K9 if I could set up different Aladdin profiles for each XP account but I understand that this may not be possible? Could someone comment on this also.
Finally, I agree with sheepdip - until the eSafe Agent has been released then unfortunately, the product doesn't have the flexibility I require.
Bob
Superuser
Superuser

My understanding is that the Parental Control Agent should provide the control you require for the different accounts on the same computer.
However please can Aladdin provide a definitive answer?
David
David
aladdin
Grafter

Aladdin Response:
Hi Bob,
welcome to our trial.
In order to provide a prompt and accurate answer i need to verify this point with our Product Manager who is responsible for the Agent.
As we have national holiday in Israel, i will be able to answer that by Tuesday next week.
Best Regards,
Asa Kedar
Senior Security Consultant
Aladdin Knowledge Systems

Community Veteran

Thanks, this is a key feature for me so I'll await your response with interest.
Bob