Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch to Aladdin service going wrong

andyrogers
Grafter

Switch to Aladdin service going wrong

Moderator's Note:
Since changing this user over to the Aladdin service appears to have led to the same problem reoccurring I've gathered and merged relevant posts from two other topics into this one so that the full history is all together.

Hi All
I am new to this trial now, my account was changed across yesterday using the Family Profile.
Last night I tried and and accessed a couple of sites which should have been blocked, but did let me have access to them.  I did restart my router a couple of times to re-establish my connection but still the same.
The one site i tried was http://www.phazeddl.com which I know it blocked by 4 categories according to Aladdin website.
I did have my DNS server settings pointed to opendns.com servers as I usually use their service.  Would this make a difference?
I have changed them to point to PlusNet DNS servers last night and still got the same results.
Maybe it will work tonight, I shall check tonight.
Andy
31 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Re: Switch to Aladdin service going wrong

Welcome to the trial.
That site is blocked for me.
Please could you confirm that your connection really has been switched to Aladdin by doing the following?
In a command window run tracert ntp.plus.net (help here). If the first hop shows 32.core.plus.net you are on the trial.
Thanks
David
David
Community Veteran

I suspect you'll need to disconnect and reconnect your connection equipment to 'enable' the trial once you have been set up to go.
B.
andyrogers
Grafter

Hm
First i was connected to lo0-plusnet.pte-ag2.plus.net then lo0-plusnet.thn-ag3.plus.net & now lo0-plusnet.ptn-ag1.plus.net
Did someone forget to enable my account on the trial?
Andy
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Yes, those are standard gateways, not the Aladdin one, so your account hasn't been switched and it's not surprising that blocking doesn't work.
A PlusNet staff member should be along in due course to remedy this, might be tomorrow morning now. They should post here to let you know when the change has been done.
A single restart of your router (or disconnect/reconnect if your router permits this) should be all that is required to switch over. Too many restarts can cause the exchange equipment to decide your line has a problem and increase target SNR.
David
David
andyrogers
Grafter

Chris
Could you have a look and my account please andyscomp on F9, as reported problems in this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,63439.msg520784.html#msg520784 & Tkt No 25062438.
I can't seem to get my account to get onto the correct gateway.  These do do happen though on trials, it apart of the fun of taking part.

Thanks
Andy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Yep, I'm going to check those tickets shortly. I'll reply on there for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
andyrogers
Grafter

Chris
Have you had chance to investigate my ticket 25062438 any further since the end of last week?
Thanks
Andy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

That's on my radar for this afternoon, I'll be collecting details ready for the next batch and asking Ade to check your account at the same time.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
andyrogers
Grafter

Thanks Chris

Regards
Andrew
andyrogers
Grafter

Chris
When are the next lot of trialist getting moved over onto the Aladdin trial?
Should I be included in th next batch now?
Thanks
Andrew
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Chris won't be in until next week now Andy so I wouldn't expect anything to be done before then.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hi Andrew,
I sent our network engineer the list of volunteers to add on Tuesday last week, I've just received a message from him that he's adding everyone today. Sorry for the delay.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
andyrogers
Grafter

Chris
Last week I had some problems with my broadband connection, and tonight they have returned exactually the same again.
Could you have a look at my ticket 25108980 and see if could possibly be related to the Aladdin trial.
It just seems a little coincindential that my account was moved over today, and my problem returned.
Thanks
Andy
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

I've seen a couple of people with connection problems after being switched to Aladdin, however these are generally showing up in our RADIUS logs. I've just checked the logs for you account and can't see any logs at all for ADSL since around 6.30 last night.
I'm going to test your connection from here now and see if I can get connected, that should help pin down where the issue is.
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team