cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Face book games blocked

stephane

Face book games blocked

So far I was happy with the trial as unsuitable and spam pages were blocked.
Since today simple games from Face book are being blocked. Where is the threat? Is it going to stay so?
Where can I review my level of blockage.
It is essential to have a whitelisting function, otherwise the filter will never suit everybody.
Thanks,
Stephane.
Moderator's Note: Topic retitled to remove "from today" which is not longer appropriate - David (spraxyt)
18 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Face book games blocked

Take a look at the FAQ page in this forum.  A number of suggestions are made on How / Where to check URL classifications  and the reporting of oddities.
Maurice
Moderator's note: Relocated hyperlink to reflect the linked topic rather than the forum - David (spraxyt)
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

Release of the Parental Control Agent, currently due in August (beta), will allow site whitelisting. More details on the FAQ page.
David
David
aladdin
Grafter

Aladdin Reply:
Hi Stephane,
The Following URL "http://apps.facebook.com" is in the Restricted Erotic / Sex,Anonymous Proxies category.
We will analyze if this is a false positive and update if necessary.
Best Regards,
Asa

stephane

Thank you!
Is there a chance that the url will be put back as non-blocked?
If not, I will have to opt out of the trial as I get a lot of pressure from the kids and will not be able to wait until August...
Stephane.
andyrogers
Grafter

You could always try and ask Aladdin to review this at http://www.aladdin.com/support/checking-classification.aspx and see if that may help.
Andy
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: stephane
Is there a chance that the url will be put back as non-blocked?
If not, I will have to opt out of the trial as I get a lot of pressure from the kids and will not be able to wait until August...

Assuming you opted for the Family Safe profile that site is blocked because it is classified as Erotic/Sex and Anonymous Proxies. Aladdin said they would review whether those classifications were appropriate. I imagine the timescale for review is likely to be a couple of days.
However if that is too long to wait, rather than leaving the trial I suggest you change your profile to Malware safe which should not block that page. To change your profile you need to raise a ticket at the trials link as explained in the FAQ page.
David
David
stephane

Done that.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.
Is there a place where one can review the definition of the various profiles? I looked but can't find it. It would be useful.
All the best,
Stephane.
Superuser
Superuser

Yes, the user profiles are defined in an Excel spreadsheet attached at the bottom of the FAQ topic. The first two questions in that FAQ explain the categories and where to find the details.
Were you looking for more detailed information than is given there?
David
David
stephane

David,
Thanks. This is exactly what I was looking for.
I just could not find the information while going through the FAQs.... I know I have now seen you make reference to it in the text, but  I must say it is still well hidden... :-).
Now I am waiting for my profile to be changed...
All the best,
Stephane.
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Stephane,
Thanks for the feedback. The FAQs are not serving their intended purpose if information is hidden. I've changed the text for the information you were seeking in an attempt to make this not the case. Is this better? However is the real problem that the Excel filename doesn't describe its content? I'll happily change the name if that is a problem.
If you have suggestions for improving the FAQs please put them forward, they are there to help users. Feel free to suggest different words if appropriate.
Regards
David
David
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: aladdin
The Following URL "http://apps.facebook.com" is in the Restricted Erotic / Sex,Anonymous Proxies category.
We will analyze if this is a false positive and update if necessary.

Hi Asa, it is me :-)
The wife is continually moaning at me about Facebook games/quizzes not working.  Any update on checking if we have a false positive?
Hope your well
Carl
hook
Dabbler

Photobucket.com is now blocked, yet some sites that contain far more explicit material are not. I'm thinking along the lines of rapidshare, megaupload etc.
Hardly seems like appropriate filtering to me.
What next.. block tinypic and flickr and the whole t'interweb?
aladdin
Grafter

Aladdin response:
Hi All,
Photobucket has been fixed.
apps.facebook.com is still blocked.
As this is automation process it takes longer to change some classifications. Having said that, i will remove the facebook url manually as a workaround for now, until we'll clarify this categorization.
Cheers
Asa
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: aladdin
Aladdin response:
Hi All,
Photobucket has been fixed.
apps.facebook.com is still blocked.
As this is automation process it takes longer to change some classifications. Having said that, i will remove the facebook url manually as a workaround for now, until we'll clarify this categorization.
Cheers
Asa

Thanks for the response Asa, but it's not good news.  There does need to be a significantly faster response on false blocking if the service is to be viable.
Maurice