cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Checking Aladdin works on Malware Safe profile

Community Veteran

Morning all, I've just joined the trial  Smiley
I'm currently on the "Malware Safe" profile but am struggling to find any URLs to test if Aladdin is working. Assuming that it's ok, could someone post a few examples here?
Bob
3 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

I don't know of any websites blocked in these categories and I'm reluctant to see examples posted here, since they are potentially hazardous (if used on a non-protected system).
I suggest you do a tracert ntp.plus.net (see FAQ if help is needed) and make sure the second hop says 32.core.plus.net to verify that your connection goes through the Aladdin box.
I can confirm that erotic sites are blocked on the Family safe profile. Examples of those are easier to find.
David
David
rman

I have used the Anti-Virus test file from eicar to verify that the Malware profile is working.  If you go to www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm and attempt to download the test files then the Malware profile blocks the download.

Moderator's Note: I have made the Eicar test file link non-clickable for safety reasons. Anyone wanting to use the link will have to copy and paste the address into their browser.
For users with any of the current profiles Aladdin will block access to the files via the HTTP (non-secure) protocol, but not via the HTTPS (secure) protocol. Desktop antivirus programs should detect the Eicar test-virus and respond accordingly in the latter case. Please ensure you know what to do if you get such warnings.
In any case a properly formatted Eicar test-virus should not cause harm, even if the software is executed. However
YOU DOWNLOAD THESE FILES AT YOUR OWN RISK. David (spraxyt)
Community Veteran

Re: Checking Aladdin works on Malware Safe profile

Hmm, I'm a bit reluctant to test this so I think I'll just assume that it's working. I'll probably switch to the Family Safe profile soon so will be able to verify that this works from both my PC and the kids PSPs and PS3.
Bob