cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Work so far and possible solutions

Ianwild
Grafter

Work so far and possible solutions

We are working on two routes concurrantly, and at this point have not committed to one approach or the other. My own preference is the latter option, but people like Mike have the opposite view. All input on the approach is heartily welcomed.
1. PlusHost - Our own hosting platform, built as our own Intellectual property using PlusNet hosted and managed servers. A spec is being produced (see attachment for a version that needs an update!) and the big choice would be whether we contracted the build or used internal resources to build it. This would be x man hours work, and would take us x months to build with current resourcing.
2. Partner white label. Much like the Gradwell partnership, we would find a credible long term partner to work with us on delivering a Next Generation Hosting Platform to customers. We've approached a number of people already and either decided that they are not appropriate, or remain in negotiations.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Work so far and possible solutions

I assume in item 1, instead of the attachment you started a new thread.
The difficulty I see is if you make the requirement too complex / feature rich (which everyone really wants Wink) it will 1) reduce the number of possible external parties that can achieve it and 2) increase the per-seat cost (which I suspect is something you need to keep to a sensible level) and possibly price yourself out of the project both from an external and internal point of view.
So getting the feature list is probably going to be the hardest part of this project as clearly it will affect what solution is possible.
Things like security can add a lot to the cost, but could also be a backward step if it turns out too many apps do not work or can be made to work easily as the current ccgi platform has shown.
Is it your intention to go for a complete homepages / ccgi solution or do you intend to keep the homepages webspace 'as is' and in-house?

Ianwild
Grafter

Re: Work so far and possible solutions

I can't find the attachment - It's on my old laptop and seems to have been missed from my Archive. There will be a copy somewhere, but I need to find it...
I agree on the features vs security vs feasibility balance, but I do think we should be able to find a partner who already offers more than our current CGI platform, and as such be in a position where they can provide us that without too much headache. If we can't find that partner, then maybe you are right and we have to scale back the design. A big issue is SSH access. I think I might make that the topic of another thread.
In terms of homepages / CGI replacement, the plan would be to focus on using this solution to replace CGI for the moment. Longer term my personal view is that people will stop using homepages because no one really writes static code anymore. I have no intention of forcing users on there off though, and I reckon we could end up seeing the platform repurposed at some point, perhaps as an online / photo storage product. However, that is outside of the scope of this project and can be thought about more at a later date.