cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What else will we lose by moving to PAYH

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What else will we lose by moving to PAYH

It has been confirmed today that a facility we can currently use on CCGI is not available on PAYH and there are no plans to introduce this facility.
Can we have a list of what else we will lose please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
5 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Re: What else will we lose by moving to PAYH

That's in relation to external access to MySQL servers I presume?
That's one, SSH access is another.
I'm sure there's more but I can't bring them to mind this afternoon. It's definitely a good idea for a list to be collated and we can look at each of those again too before a final launch to identify if there are workarounds or the option to review the decision.
Ian
Ianwild
Grafter

PS - Shall we do this in the public forum - I can't imagine there is anything that needs to be kept behind closed doors here?
Ian
Superuser
Superuser

Quote from: jelv
It has been confirmed today that a facility we can currently use on CCGI is not available on PAYH and there are no plans to introduce this facility.

... confirmed where?  wd appreciate it if someone could point me at the relevant thread - just resurfacing after being tied up elsewhere some long while and not fully up to speed again yet :/
Quote from: Ian
That's in relation to external access to MySQL servers I presume?

'external' in what sense?  sorry for what might seem a dense question, but don't fully understand the relevance of the wording.

Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Superuser
Superuser

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70979.0.html

thanks John Smiley 
Having looked at the thread, issues like 'I can connect fine to my rumpus.plus.net mySQL database using the mySQL ODBC connector for MS Access' would seem to indicate that the type of 'external' access referred to is significantly more sophisticated than anything I do here (or might ever do, come to that).
That said, if a workaround has been found re the shell factor [which seemed initially un-resolvable], perhaps ways will be found to enable the 'external access' and SSH requirements also [whether by PN or by clued-up people this side of the fence].

http://usergroup.plus.net/pugit/view.php?jv=1&id=434

Ref the PUGIT entry, it says 'At present we can access rumpus/humbug.plus.net on port 3306 using applications running on our own PC. The most useful of these is mySQL Administrator which beats the pants off phpMyAdmin.'
Just went back and looked at the PAYH site (first time I've had chance to do so for some weeks, and I have to admit it took me a good half an hour to locate the already-created mysql database - in the end I had to go back and consult the notes created during the 20h - yes 20h - of figuring out where things were initially, and setting up the basic required facilities - unfortunately I'd stopped writing the notes before the database factors were all sorted but there was enough written down to enable me to figure out just now where the database was located).
Reason for so doing was that (as far as I recalled) the 'admin' page on the PAYH mysql database was very similar to that on 'mysql admin' currently on F9 - and yes, indeed it is, though at the top the PAYH page says
MySQL - 5.0.32-Debian_7etch1-log   phpMyAdmin - 2.8.2.4
whereas the mysql admin page on F9 says
rumpus   phpMyAdmin - 2.10.1
But the two pages (on PAYH and F9) look broadly similar and the mysql databases (and commands) seem to operate in the same way (aside from the different method required to import a .txt file as per that provided previously on another thread here) so I don't quite understand what it is that 'mysql admin' can do as opposed to 'php myadmin'.
If you could explain I would appreciate this.  I absolutely dread the occasions when I have to wade my way through the PAYH site but the actual provided-admin on mysql [once I've found my way to the database] seems (to me at least) relatively straightforward because it doesn't seem different from what I've learned to do already on the F9 version.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * Force 9 from 17/02/98 * PlusNet from 2000 onwards
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com