Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mutli user admin area of website

SoulBriski
Grafter

Mutli user admin area of website

Hi
3 users will need access to the 'Admin' area of my website where they will write news articles, moderate the photo gallery and other user submission stuff.
On my current site, I control this by a user table in my database because .htaccess and .htpassword does not protect php files nor does the PN platform cater for the POSTING of variables like who the currently logged on user is (I think the variable is HTTP_USER)
Will the PAYH platform allow .htaccess to protect PHP files etc?
If so, is the httpsdocs folder intended to be used for such purposes as that i have described above and i should put my admin files in there?
6 REPLIES
SoulBriski
Grafter

Re: Mutli user admin area of website

Hi
OK, struggling a bit with this now.
You have made provisions for doing the sort of thing i have mentioned above and again it seems like the perfect solution Smiley except... Roll eyes
I've created a protected directory called 'admin'
I've added a user and given him a password.
I've uploaded a simple html file to this new protected directory and created a link to it from the homepage.
Sure enough, when the homepage link is clicked, a dialog appears asking for user name and password (same as a .htaccess driven login dialog)
Problem is...
It doesn't work, it won't let me in Angry
It returns 3 times then displays an 'incorrect credentials' error page
Further more, when this is working, will the user name be stored in a variable that i can then use as i do now for such things as 'News article written by <UserName>' in much the same way as this post displays that it was written by me?
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
Do you mind if i change the password to something else, so that I can have a look at this for you
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 36

I suspect others, myself included, would find knowing how to do this sort of thing on the PAYH platform very useful.
David
David
Kev_Mawson
Grafter

Hi
To add a protected directory, you would log in to your PAYH control panel, click home, click on to the domain name, then on to protected directories, then Add New Directory, which will ask you to choose a directory name, click ok. Then you will have the option to add users, where you will be able to choose a user name and a password.
SoulBriski
Grafter

Quote from: Kev
Hi
Do you mind if i change the password to something else, so that I can have a look at this for you

Hi
Yes, feel free.
Please let me know how you get on
SoulBriski
Grafter

Quote from: SoulBriski
Quote from: Kev
Hi

Hi
Yes, feel free.
Please let me know how you get on

Hi Kev
Still not had a reponse to this yet and it's still not working Sad
Thanks