cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving part of a database to plesk

Word_Warrior
Grafter

Moving part of a database to plesk

I have a database set up on rumpus which serves all my current domains but having moved only one domain to plesk for now I would like to select only it's part of the database to compress and download so that I can install it into Joomla. In other words I have my db setup as username_ with several 'names' within with the prefix of first_ second_ etc. If I am to copy just username_ first_ how would I go about it? I have MySqldumper so I can see all the db files but I'm clueless on how to selectively save.
This isn't so important for this test site I have because it was in the middle of a rebuild anyway but I run a web site for someone else (db on humbug) and I envisage having to move that over to Plesk eventually and it's a live (and kicking) site. So I'll need a slick way of moving things to avoid disruption to service.
Anybody point me in the right direction.
Andy
3 REPLIES
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re: Moving part of a database to plesk

If expletives were allowed on this forum I'd be shouting some pretty emphatic ones.
Just found another facet of MySql Dumper where I could compress selected parts of an existing db and save it to my desktop (amazing what you can find when you look Cool )
Once I'd stopped Firefox from blocking pop ups which seem to be an integral part of parts of plesk I found the import db info. seconds later my website moved from a default data Joomla site to a site with the work I'd started before moving my domain to Plesk or PAYH. Give me a couple more weeks and I'll be flying A couple more practice moves of domains to Plesk then I can move the big one. Woo Hoo Grin
Conclusion:
I can thouroughly recommend using MySqlDumper to view/save and select mysql for backups imports and exports. It really was easier than I thought it would be.
Once you get your database saved as a sql.gz file it's a piece of cake to import it over an existing db or create a new one.
Note to Kev M
Apologies for my trepidation previously, i'm actually beginning to enjoy the ease of this system, once I've mastered things There'll be no stopping me.
Caveat: Would still love to be able to uncompress tar files on the server, that really is the achilles heel of the system.
Community Veteran

I would re-second that request, WW Smiley
B.
Word_Warrior
Grafter

Re reading my post it has occurred to me that you can uncompress an sql.gz file on the server. i.e. a compressed file into the db server. Is it so difficult to have a similar system to un tar files within the httpdocs directory. Probabably being a little naive due to lack of knowledge but to my uneducated eyes..... Hmmmm?